Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Kingston SSD not booting

This is a discussion on Kingston SSD not booting within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello friends, I have been using my PC with a Kingston SSD 480GB as main drive on win7 with others

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello friends, I have been using my PC with a Kingston SSD 480GB as main drive on win7 with others HDD as secondary in ahci mode. I unplugged one HDD to take apart and at my next reboot it appears black screen with the message "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device"...

Reboot, arrage boot list at BIOS, reboot, same message.

Unplugged the pc, clear cmos memory, reboot, same message.

The ssd is present at BIOS boot list, same for others HDD and DVD drive.

Windows doesn't boot anymore from the SSD.

Any help?
Mother ASUS P8H77-V , Intel Core I7

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hi. Welcome to TSF. Press F8 to load the boot (device selection) menu. Does it list the SSD? if it does, select it and press Enter to boot from it.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Hi. Welcome to TSF. Press F8 to load the boot (device selection) menu. Does it list the SSD? if it does, select it and press Enter to boot from it.
thanks for your reply, yes, of course, it lists at Boot selection list, once selected the SSD drive it just shows the same "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" message!

This is why I'm asking for help, Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Boot from a Windows 7 or higher installation media, select the language and correct keyboard layout if need be then click Next. At the bottom-left, click Repair, then attempt automatic startup repair first. Let us know what result it brings.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:43 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Boot from a Windows 7 or higher installation media, select the language and correct keyboard layout if need be then click Next. At the bottom-left, click Repair, then attempt automatic startup repair first. Let us know what result it brings.
Great advice! but haven't any Win 7 installer media in hand
Is there any other maybe usb bootable option for that?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Found a win7 installation media, run command prompt and tryed with bootrec.exe/fixmbr and it worked but not the fixboot just "Element not found" message. Rebuild BCD identified 1 Windows installation (same with scanons) but when I tryed to add to boot list "Element not found" message showed up.

Run a chkdsk /f and/r and worked fine but at the end got "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50" message in both process (no idea).

windows installation was recognized but it didn't seem to work.

tryed to change sata cables but not worked.

Bios SATA config is AHCI, should I change it?

any other option?
Old 08-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Kingston SSD 480GB as main drive on win7 with others HDD as secondary in ahci mode
How did you install Windows 7 in the first place?
Boot into Setup (Bios) and confirm that the Hard Drive Mode is still set to AHCI.
Go to the Security Tab, If Secure Boot or Fast Boot is enabled, Disable it.
If UEFI Bios is enabled add Legacy or CSM.
If you have a Windows 7 product key, you can Download Windows 7 ISO here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7
Old 08-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #8
Registered Member

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
How did you install Windows 7 in the first place?
Boot into Setup (Bios) and confirm that the Hard Drive Mode is still set to AHCI.
Go to the Security Tab, If Secure Boot or Fast Boot is enabled, Disable it.
If UEFI Bios is enabled add Legacy or CSM.
If you have a Windows 7 product key, you can Download Windows 7 ISO here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7
Thanks for your message. Disabled Fast Boot, Still as AHCI mode. CSM device control option selected _ UEFI and Legacy

It still doesn't work.

I didn't install this at first place but find a win7 media.

btw I plugged the SSD SATA via usb to another pc and it loads perfect and I have access to all files and folders.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeride View Post
Thanks for your message. Disabled Fast Boot, Still as AHCI mode. CSM device control option selected _ UEFI and Legacy

It still doesn't work.

I didn't install this at first place but find a win7 media.

btw I plugged the SSD SATA via usb to another pc and it loads perfect and I have access to all files and folders.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks!
Reinstall the SSD back inside the pc, and disconnect ANY other disk (internal or external) so that the ssd is the only one, then boot off the Windows 7 media, open Command Prompt and run the following commands:

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 0

LIST PARTITION

Post a screenshot of the listed partitions, and then run

LIST VOLUME

Post a screenshot of the listed volumes.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

To add to what is said, The Data cable that leaves the SSD, Which SATA port is being used on the motherboard for the data cable? Boot into Setup (Bios) go to SATA port configuration and make sure the SATA port is Enabled in the Bios. Under System Information, the SSD drive should be listed. Go to the Boot tab and Move the SSD drive to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.
If you still have problems follow Stancestans suggestions.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:47 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Reinstall the SSD back inside the pc, and disconnect ANY other disk (internal or external) so that the ssd is the only one, then boot off the Windows 7 media, open Command Prompt and run the following commands:

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 0

LIST PARTITION

Post a screenshot of the listed partitions, and then run

LIST VOLUME

Post a screenshot of the listed volumes.
Thanks for your message, done Diskpart, listed volumes and then selected partition 1 and make active.

After that restarted ("bootmgr is missing" message at startup) restarted again and got to command prompt to run a bootrec fixmbr/fixboot and all went fine, now doing chkdsk again just in case, let's see what happens.

Image can't load, sorry
Old 08-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

well the "bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" message appears again.

Can't post any pictures, any image hosting to upload them?

Windows startup repair does recognize the windows 7 installation but can't repair it...
Old 08-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
well the "bootmgr is missing press ctrl+alt+del to restart" message appears again.

Can't post any pictures, any image hosting to upload them?

Windows startup repair does recognize the windows 7 installation but can't repair it...
You can post the image on imgur.com and post its url/link here. Is partition 1 the one containing the Windows installation that doesn't boot, or is it a much smaller one?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
You can post the image on imgur.com and post its url/link here. Is partition 1 the one containing the Windows installation that doesn't boot, or is it a much smaller one?

Done Diskpart, note the Primary SSD 447GB as partition 1

After a restart with Partition 1 selected as Active, Windows Startup Repair recognized the win7 install.

[IMG][/IMG]

But then this message appears.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally after restarting again:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-06-2018, 05:46 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
But then this message appears.

[IMG][/IMG]
As you can see, the Windows media you are using doesn't not contain the same version of Windows as the one installed on the SSD. You need 64-bit media for 64-bit installation and 32-bit media for 32-bit installation. It seems the media you are using is 32-bit while the installation is 64-bit. 32-bit system recovery utilities will not work on a 64-bit installation. You may be able to use installation media of a higher version of Windows to repair your Windows 7 installation. You can download 64-bit Windows 10 iso image from here, burn it to a dvd disc or 8GB flash disk using Rufus and boot from it.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
As you can see, the Windows media you are using doesn't not contain the same version of Windows as the one installed on the SSD. You need 64-bit media for 64-bit installation and 32-bit media for 32-bit installation. It seems the media you are using is 32-bit while the installation is 64-bit. 32-bit system recovery utilities will not work on a 64-bit installation. You may be able to use installation media of a higher version of Windows to repair your Windows 7 installation. You can download 64-bit Windows 10 iso image from here, burn it to a dvd disc or 8GB flash disk using Rufus and boot from it.
That sounds strange, but its the same media as the installed!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:13 AM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
That sounds strange, but its the same media as the installed!
No it isn't. There is no mistaking that error message. They may be both Windows 7, but of different architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). Compatibility cannot be forced, it is what it is, and I'm guessing the startup repair is attempting to run the same utilities that I have in mind, so it's a dead end with that media. Anyways, the command I have in mind is BCDBOOT, and you execute it (at your own risk) as follows:

Code:
BCDBOOT C:\Windows /s C: /v /f BIOS

where C: is the volume letter of partition 1 and also the partition containing the non-booting installation of Windows 7. If the command completes successfully, run BCDEDIT and post the output here, then reboot and try booting from the SSD.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:19 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
No it isn't. There is no mistaking that error message. They may be both Windows 7, but of different architecture (32-bit or 64-bit). Compatibility cannot be forced, it is what it is, and I'm guessing the startup repair is attempting to run the same utilities that I have in mind, so it's a dead end with that media. Anyways, the command I have in mind is BCDBOOT, and you execute it (at your own risk) as follows:

Code:
BCDBOOT C:\Windows /s C: /v /f BIOS

where C: is the volume letter of partition 1 and also the partition containing the non-booting installation of Windows 7. If the command completes successfully, run BCDEDIT and post the output here, then reboot and try booting from the SSD.
It's the one and only media available so its the same media as installed. What kind of Compatibility am I trying to force to?

What do you mean with "same utilities that I have in mind"?

I'm not an expert here, just asking for help from you and Google, let me know which risk are involved in BCDBOOT, please.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
It's the one and only media available so its the same media as installed. What kind of Compatibility am I trying to force to?

What do you mean with "same utilities that I have in mind"?

I'm not an expert here, just asking for help from you and Google, let me know which risk are involved in BCDBOOT, please.

Thanks!
The Windows media you are using, the one you "found" is not compatible with the version of Windows 7 that you're trying to repair. The utilities I'm referring to are the programs that are contained in the media you're using (the one you found), such as BCDBOOT, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, DiskPart and so on. I have no idea where that media came from, but it's illogical to assume that it is the same version of Windows as the one on the SSD just because it's the only one you've found, especially since you do not know how Windows was installed in the first place.

By "same utilities i have in mind", I mean't the programs that automatic startup repair will try to use to repair your non-booting installation. Startup repair uses a bunch of utilities and processes to try and fix the booting problem.

By insisting that the media is (compatible) of the same Windows version as the installation on the SSD, and trying to use it even though the recovery environment itself says it isn't compatible, that would be trying to force compatibility, and things can go from bad to worse if you decide against wise judgement to run incompatible utilities. Does that sound risky?

I know you are no expert, hence the reason why you need to heed advice from more experienced people. May I suggest exclusively following the advice offered here and not from multiple other sources (via Google) because we have no idea what else you're trying from other sources, plus you may end up getting incorrect information and damaging the installation beyond recovery. If we somehow fail to resolve your problem satisfactorily, then you will be free to seek help from wherever you like.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
The Windows media you are using, the one you "found" is not compatible with the version of Windows 7 that you're trying to repair. The utilities I'm referring to are the programs that are contained in the media you're using (the one you found), such as BCDBOOT, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, DiskPart and so on. I have no idea where that media came from, but it's illogical to assume that it is the same version of Windows as the one on the SSD just because it's the only one you've found, especially since you do not know how Windows was installed in the first place.

By "same utilities i have in mind", I mean't the programs that automatic startup repair will try to use to repair your non-booting installation. Startup repair uses a bunch of utilities and processes to try and fix the booting problem.

By insisting that the media is (compatible) of the same Windows version as the installation on the SSD, and trying to use it even though the recovery environment itself says it isn't compatible, that would be trying to force compatibility, and things can go from bad to worse if you decide against wise judgement to run incompatible utilities. Does that sound risky?

I know you are no expert, hence the reason why you need to heed advice from more experienced people. May I suggest exclusively following the advice offered here and not from multiple other sources (via Google) because we have no idea what else you're trying from other sources, plus you may end up getting incorrect information and damaging the installation beyond recovery. If we somehow fail to resolve your problem satisfactorily, then you will be free to seek help from wherever you like.
I search for information and seek help from many sources and there is nothing wrong with that. I will follow what I think I should do according to my situation like the win 7 media is the same as installed and its a matter of fact.

If you can't understand my situation, well there isn't any help left here.

Thanks anyway
Closed Thread