Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Is there any way to fix corrupted files in a HDD?

This is a discussion on Is there any way to fix corrupted files in a HDD? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Hard Drive is a 4TB WD External Desktop Drive wiht its' own power supply. I've had it for about

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

My Hard Drive is a 4TB WD External Desktop Drive wiht its' own power supply. I've had it for about 1 year and I think it might be starting to fail, which seems to be extremely early.
I am able to play some of the files in the hard drive, but most of them show up as "Unable to read file" after a few minutes of playing.
Windows has detected an error with the hard drive a few times, and I've gone through the detect and repair program that Windows 8 offers, it still continues to be corrupted.
It has become slow to navigate through the folders in the hard drive at times.

Is there any way to fix the files on the hard drive or the hard drive itself? If not, is there a good way to transfer the files to a different hard drive? Most of the files will not copy using the straight copy-paste method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Your HDD is beginning to fail with Bad Sectors. Copy and Paste as many files as you can before trouble shooting. When Bad Sectors occur, files that reside on these sectors become corrupted. You cannot recover corrupted files if they are on bad sectors and you have too many bad sectors.
If you run Check Disk (eg) Search type CMD, right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type the Drive letter of the external drive (eg) G: and press enter. (eg) G:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will go through 5 stages. This will take a long time. It will look for Bad Sectors and try and move that file to a Good sector near by. If there are too many bad sectors then the HDD fails.
You can also download WD Datalifeguard for Windows run the Quick and Extended Diagnostic tests. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced. If so, see if your WD drive is under warranty Warranty Status | WD Support to get a free refurbished one in return.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Any hard drive, old or new, can fail at any time and often without warning or apparent cause. For that reason, among others, it is important to maintain backups of important files. If the files are of particular importance you should have 2 or more backup copies. Recovery of data after a failure is always unreliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryukiral View Post
~snip~
Hey there Ryukiral :) Welcome to the forum!

What is the drive's model number?

As spunk.funk explained in great detail, you should back everything up as soon as you can as you are risking losing your data.
I would then run the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool and see if the drive passes the extended test. Have in mind that bad sectors are something that cannot be fixed with any software as they are physical damage on the platter itself. There's a chance that this is caused by simple blocked sectors and a simple zero fill might reset them to their default state, but this erases any info on the drive so make sure you have a backup of everything before you do that. You can do that with the WD DLG tool.
CHKDSK /r would check you drive for errors and will try to isolate the damaged sectors by reallocating the data from them first. Have in mind that if the command cannot get the data off of those sectors it will isolate them anyway and will make it impossible for other data recovery software tools to locate them so I would proceed with that tool with caution.

LMiller7 gave you some good advice regarding backups which I would strongly support.
If the drive is under warranty, feel free to contact our support after you've backed your files up in order go apply for the RMA procedure and get a replacement. :)

I'f there's anything I can do for you - feel free to ask!

Captain_WD.
Closed Thread