Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Is my SSD failing?

This is a discussion on Is my SSD failing? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Starting this last weekend, my computer has began to crash. I wasn't present for the first few crashes, but was

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Starting this last weekend, my computer has began to crash. I wasn't present for the first few crashes, but was for one. It began with every open program freezing up, followed by a screen informing me of an error. The error was "KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR". After this crash, the computer would fail to boot and take me into the BIOS utility. Here, I notice that my SSD is not present in the BIOS boot priority list. I'm able to still load windows from one of the other things somehow after turning the computer on/off. (after loading Windows I can reboot the PC and find the SSD in BIOS until the next crash). The crashes happen once every 2-4 hours.

Basically, I need to know whether this is the SSD or the Motherboard or the PSU maybe. I've tried running SFC, RestoreHealth, ChkDsk, updating Windows, checking for loose cables, etc but nothing has helped.

Please, any help at all would be appreciated! I'm going out of my mind here. :(

PC specs in link below:
https://speccy.piriform.com/results/5...kYFlKoz47wWmcO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Link is broken for me.

What make/model/size SSD do you have?

After doing a little searching; it seems to be an issue with the OS not being able to read from the memory...either from the HDD and/or RAM.

I found this.....

And this from MSDN
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854944.aspx
Old 08-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #3
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Try copy and pasting the link to your browser address bar and remove the S from HTTPS it should work as it did for me. bassfisher6522

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

That worked....thanks joe.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:46 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The site has issues at times with links for HTTPS they have been working on it but so far no joy, glad it worked for you.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Link is broken for me.

What make/model/size SSD do you have?

After doing a little searching; it seems to be an issue with the OS not being able to read from the memory...either from the HDD and/or RAM.

I found this.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEdruAg0LII

And this from MSDN
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854944.aspx

That video just advices a chkdsk scan which i've done already. The rest is just a prolonged ad for their paid service. I did try the solution suggested here:

But it didn't help. I also tried doing a boot virus scan, doing a memory diagnostic scan, and even a CPU scan but nothing has turned up. I've also tried updating my BIOS but that didn't stop the BSOD either.

Last BSOD I had was somewhat different. It said KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (volmgrx.sys)

The "volmgrx.sys" bit wasn't there before. I don't know if that means anything though?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Another variation of the crash message appeared, this time saying "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (spaceport.sys)"

Interesting sys name there. No clue what it means though.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR spaceport.sys

?
Old 08-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

That is the storage space driver...

I'd run diagnostics for SSD and RAM... Also try driver verifier and see if the BSOD comes up again..

Old 08-22-2018, 06:23 AM   #10
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

is the sata cable you are using ok?
Old 08-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
Registered Member

If you have a clone of the current system on an external drive, boot to it. If not, get an external USB interfaced drive and install a fresh copy of Windows on it. This will isolate the problem and tell you if it is the computer or the drive. Once you are up with Windows on the external drive use this to diagnose the internal drive. Files that are in use by Windows cannot be repaired, and this includes most of the system files. I strongly recommend getting a copy of SpinRite from grc.com,which I have been using for many decades. It does an unbelievably good job of checking and fixing problems with hard drives. If the system works with the external drive and you do not see a good way to fix the internal drive, copy the files you need from the internal drive to the external drive. Do NOT try to copy an application. Applications must be installed. Once you are done if the problem was the SSD install a new internal SSD and make sure you have a good backup in the future.
Closed Thread