Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Is my new SSD dead on arrival?

This is a discussion on Is my new SSD dead on arrival? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So my new SSD arrived today. I hooked it up to an external enclosure via USB ready to clone the

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

So my new SSD arrived today.

I hooked it up to an external enclosure via USB ready to clone the old SSD over. The problem is the drive isn't showing up...

Not under my computer, or device manager.

I've tried a couple of USB ports, and even another HDD in the enclosure to see if it works so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Any other suggestions what this could be?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

Edit: the new SSD does show up under CMD diskpart as being online
Old 05-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Waiting for your command: https://ss64.com/nt/diskpart.html

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You must Initialize the drive. You can do this in Diskpart or you can go to Search type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Disk Management window If you have a new SSD, it should automatically start the New Disk Wizard and ask to Initialize, Probably MBR. It depends on what the old drive is Initialized as, GPT or MB

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motherboard & SSD incompatible / Motherboard failing?
Hi :) Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum, my symptoms are Windows 7 related, but I wanted to see if my hunch was right and whether I've been an idiot and bought something that's not compatible, or perhaps showing symptoms that my motherboard is on the fritz. I decided to get an...
Drained Motherboards, Bios & CPU 13 06-22-2015 03:56 PM
SSD very Slow after Sleep Mode
Hi, I just installed a brand new Samsung 256GB EVO Pro SSD into a system and installed on the drive is Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. (8GB of RAM - Desktop PC) The system is running smoothly, however, when the PC enters sleep mode things change. It enters sleep mode just fine, but when resuming...
Masterchiefxx17 Windows 8, 8.1 Support 13 03-24-2015 01:01 AM
Dead SSD - tvs diode fix help
I used the wrong modular cables and I friedd my seagate 2 tb hardrive and my corsair ls force 120gb ssd. Anyways using the tvs fix I was able to revive my Seagate and am now working on my ssd. here is an image...
Zontor84 Hard Drive Support 1 03-11-2015 01:44 AM
Solid State Drive (SSD) Not Detected After Failed Windows 7 Install
Hello Brain Trust, I recently purchased a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD, 240GB. Upon installing the drive - making sure that my SATA ports were set to AHCI in the BIOS - both the BIOS and the Windows 7 Ultimate setup disk (via bootable USB) recognized the drive. However, just after the...
Thirdeye462 Hard Drive Support 11 01-28-2013 02:25 PM
Windows 7 error on boot after install to SSD
I have been trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate on an SSD I have and am having difficulties after the install. The SSD is a 100 GB Samsung 'mccoe1hg5mxp-0vbd3' or also named 'SS805'. This SSD was introduced in 2009. I believe that it was first installed in a server but now I have it in a desktop...
mr_noshot Hard Drive Support 1 11-16-2011 09:46 PM