Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Is my Hard drive failing?

This is a discussion on Is my Hard drive failing? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So i'm constantly getting the error message: "Cyclic redundancy error detected" When torrenting files. It has happened with at least

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

So i'm constantly getting the error message:

"Cyclic redundancy error detected"

When torrenting files.

It has happened with at least 4 or 5 torrents in recent times.

I read online that this might be the sign of my HD failing.
So i did an online analysis using speedfan and this is what it turned up

Almost every EIDE or SATA hard disk includes S.M.A.R.T. data. That information is collected by the drive itself and contains data that the manufacturer considered relevant to check reliability. The data is made up of several attributes that have a current value, a worst one, a threshold, some raw data, and some flags. Basically, when any attribute's current value is below its threshold, the hard disk is considered unreliable and likely to fail. By using several techniques, this report tries to give a wider range of information, basing its analysis on advanced comparisons with normal values based on real hard disks and on expert-like checks. The final results are not to be taken as an absolute truth, but they are almost as good as a professional expert advice about your hard disk status.

Your hard disk is a WDC WD7502AAEX-00Y9A0 with firmware 05.01D05.
Your hard disk is not reporting its temperature.
This is normal for this hard disk model.

Attribute Current Raw
Raw Read Error Rate 199 000000006275
Spin Up Time 173 0000000010E5
Start/Stop Count 99 0000000004B1
Reallocated Sector Count 200 000000000002
Seek Error Rate 200 000000000000
Power On Hours Count 90 000000001D37
Spin Retry Count 100 000000000000
Calibration Retry Count 100 000000000000
Power Cycle Count 99 0000000004AF
Power Off Retract Count 200 000000000069
Load Cycle Count 200 000000000449
Reallocated Event Count 198 000000000002
Current Pending Sector 200 000000000020
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 000000000001
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 200 00000000000A
Write Error Rate 200 000000000001

All the attributes of your hard disk are above the S.M.A.R.T. thresholds set by the manufacturer. This is good.

BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 32 pending sectors. Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 1 offline uncorrectable sectors. Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

NOTE : your hard disk Power On Hours Count attribute current value (90) is below the normal range (98 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was powered on for more than the maximum time the average user did. This means that either all of the reports collected are from hard disks that were not powered on for too long (this is realistic for recent models) or that your hard disk is becoming old. Usually this is not considered as a pre-failure advisory, but you should check whether you want to replace the hardware or keep an eye on its performances over time.

NOTE : your hard disk Power Cycle Count attribute current value (99) is below the normal range (100 - 100) reported for your specific hard disk model. Basically your hard disk was power cycled more times than the maximum number the average hard disk was. Power cycles put some stress on the hard disk mechanic. Sometimes power cycles can be caused by a loose hard disk power connector. Make sure it is properly fastened.

The overall fitness for this drive is 0%.
The overall performance for this drive is 95%.

The link to get back and see a new report about this hard disk in the future is this. Consider that new hard disks and new checks are added over time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

The concern lies in the fact that my fitness for the drive is 0%..

I have been noticing that my computer is slowing down as of late and the HD tends to work alot sometimes.

The hard disk is about 3-4 years old.. maybe 3.5 years old.

Should i replace it? Was thinking the best option would be the WD black series. It isn't that expensive
Old 08-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

mta88

I would remove the part about the "five files" shall we say.

secondly - back up ALL of your data.

have you performed a disk clean up and defrag recently?

does the unit report any SMART errors when you boot up?

Use a different SATA cable, try again.

If, after any combination of those (at least, the ones you are capable of doing) it still gives you the same results, the drive is soon to be dead and at about 3 1/2 years old its probably worth considering a replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

P2P
We believe that the main purpose of P2P programs is to illegally download and use copyrighted material of whatever description. We further understand that there may be legal uses for P2P, but as we are not able to assess a user's intent when he/ she asks for help, we do not support P2P software and we will not assist any user in this regard. This includes but is not limited to Bearshare, Kazaa and many others.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread