Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Iomega External HDD not recognized

This is a discussion on Iomega External HDD not recognized within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, just a heads up, I am completely ignorant when it comes to computers and hardware, so I need

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there, just a heads up, I am completely ignorant when it comes to computers and hardware, so I need all the help I can get :)

My iomega 1tb external hard drive is not being recognized in my computer or disk management. It was working fine until one day I turn it on and it didn't show up. It still makes the same noise but then dies down after loading. The data on it is extremely important and I am desperate at this point. I did some research and still haven't found a solution. Please help!

Oh and I am using vista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Ent, Server 2012, 2012R2, Server 2008 R2 Stnd,

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF

Explain
Quote:
It still makes the same noise but then dies down after loading.
also have you changed the USB cable and power outlet also another USB port on the computer
Old 11-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Normally when I would turn the drive on, the disk would start to spin then it would be steady vibration. Now when I turn it on it spins then stops.

I haven't changed the usb cable, I figured that it was beyond that and wishful thinking. I did try another outlet and usb port.

Thanks for the response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

That sounds like power issue
Do you happen to have warranty on this if not you can pull the drive out of the external case and plug it directly into the computer using a sata cable
Old 11-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Wont taking it out of the casing possibly damage it? Will I be able to see the data? So I can transfer it onto another external?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

No it should not just be careful when you are opening up the case and taking the drive out to not rush it take ur time
Once you have it hooked up.to your PC we can see what kind of state the drive is in and go com there
Closed Thread