Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Iomega External Drive Broken Piece

This is a discussion on Iomega External Drive Broken Piece within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My 1TB Iomega external hard drive slipped off of a desk today and no longer works. When plugging in the

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

My 1TB Iomega external hard drive slipped off of a desk today and no longer works. When plugging in the drive with the AC adapter, you can hear the hard drive spinning, but the LED no longer comes on. When connecting the USB cord to the computer, I get a "USB Power Surge" error, with the computer saying that it cannot supply enough power for the "unknown USB device." I opened up the case and found that a piece had come off of the board. It is a silver oval piece that has two dots on one side of it. I cannot find where on the board this would go. After extensive googline, bing-ing, and youtubing, I am at a loss of where the piece goes or even what it is. It says "CHF 12.000 - 30" on the top of it. Here is a picture:

Obviously the easy answer is to get a new drive case. But I'm traveling right now, and all of my information is on that hard drive, so it would be nice to know if there is anything that can be done.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

It probably came from USB interface board. Either take it to a shop or call Iomega for the part and a new case. This video might be of interest.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm certain it did come off of the interface board, and that's one of the videos I had watched while researching. I just don't see on my board (in the picture I posted) where that piece should go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Iomega phone# in Canada is 416-504-6032

Old 05-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

I'm not Canadian; I doubt if I call Iomega that they will be able to tell me where "that silver oval piece" goes. :)
Old 05-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

They'll refer you to a manual that's hopefully available on line or they can Email a picture.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

You can go into any Electronics/Computer store, and buy a USB External HDD enclosure. Or you can order it online via Amazon and have them over night it to you. Or you order the ECO-O2 circuit board here: https://spp.spaparts.com/_assets/cat...ml/page75.html
Closed Thread