Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Installing SSD into an aging PC

This is a discussion on Installing SSD into an aging PC within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Built my PC approximately 4 years ago and I'm just now getting around to adding an SSD to boot it.

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Built my PC approximately 4 years ago and I'm just now getting around to adding an SSD to boot it.

I thought about installing a 500 GB SSD and cloning my C: drive, which is over 3.8 gigs full. But then I started thinking that I should be able to save money, buy a smaller SSD and download Windows 10 to the new drive because Microsoft uses the motherboard's model number and serial number as a reference for the product ID (I originally upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to 10 Pro).

Am I correct in thinking that?

So, my plan is to buy a 250 GB SATA SSD, dedicated to nothing but booting the OS and a few programs. Currently, I have 3 internal mechanical HDD's that store over 100 Steam games and years worth of pictures, videos and documents.

I'm thinking of buying this drive. Thoughts? Suggestions? Care to berate me for waiting so long to modernize my PC? (I have thick skin, so fire away).

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

CPU: Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

RAM: 8 GB

PSU: 650W
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

That's a solid pick (pun unintended) right there. Samsung Evo series are a staple among SSDs. No one really cares what you do with your pc, so there won't be any bashing about it. They are far from replacing HDDs completely and that won't be happening any time soon. Yes, you are correct about the Windows 10 licensing. SSD change is not significant hardware change to require reactivation of Windows, but if it does, the activation troubleshooter is just a click away to get things sorted. You better have a backup of those precious files because HDDs eventually fail, sometimes without warning!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can also Move your User files off of the C: drive and redirect them to one of your Data HDD's https://www.dummies.com/computers/op...in-windows-10/
If this reduces your C: drive to less then 250GB, you then can clone that drive to the new SSD. That way the new SSD will not fill up and if there ever is a problem, you can reimage the C: drive without loosing any of your personal files.
Of course a Clean install is always a good idea, but the clone way, you won't have to try to recover any personal files and reinstall any games or programs.
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Very good move as long as system is still running excellent choice in Ssd drive and no jeering from me at all!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Now I'm trying to figure out how to mark this thread as [Solved] but I can't edit my original post.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Under "thread tools" you can mark it "solved".

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Under "thread tools" you can mark it "solved".

Aha! Thank you.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

Before you do anything, make an image backup of your existing boot drive, include all the partitions on it, not just C:. I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free or Premium to an internal hard drive or external USB hard drive.

When you install Windows 10 to the new SSD, disconnect all other hard drives. Once the install is complete, all updates are complete then reconnect the other hard drives. This prevents anything from being written to the other drives.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

Always do a Backup before you start.
Put the SSD drive in the computer as an "extra" drive. "Don't do a USB/CABLE" to clone.
Download the SAMSUNG Data Migration Tool.. install on your current drive.
Run Data Migration program. It will Clone it perfectly..
Turn Computer Off.
Unplug SSD and PLUG Into the SAME CABLES as the Original HDD was hooked to.
Leave HDD Unplugged for now.
Start Computer... it should all work fine..
After it get's to desktop and all seems happy.. Restart the computer Twice... just experience talking here... no real "reason"

I've done this about 200 times in the last 6 months.. I'm a "tech" and I PUSH SSD Drives to "everyone" i work with.

And.. I HIGHLY Suggest you just get the 500gb, Samsung 860evo, it's only about $22.00 more and WELL Worth the extra space.

What you will find.. is 250gb drive may fill up FAST... and for the extra 22-25 bucks.. you can feel "free'er"

o.. and if you can swing it.. the 1tb, Samsung 860evo is around $128.00 right now.. not too shabby..

Plus... you are gonna love the BOOT from SSD, around 7 seconds to desktop... FREAKING SWEET!

Have fun

I love this stuff
-sapphire
Old 11-27-2018, 11:16 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
Before you do anything, make an image backup of your existing boot drive, include all the partitions on it, not just C:. I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free or Premium to an internal hard drive or external USB hard drive.

When you install Windows 10 to the new SSD, disconnect all other hard drives. Once the install is complete, all updates are complete then reconnect the other hard drives. This prevents anything from being written to the other drives.
Thank you, sir. I will do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsapphire View Post
Always do a Backup before you start.
Put the SSD drive in the computer as an "extra" drive. "Don't do a USB/CABLE" to clone.
Download the SAMSUNG Data Migration Tool.. install on your current drive.
Run Data Migration program. It will Clone it perfectly..
Turn Computer Off.
Unplug SSD and PLUG Into the SAME CABLES as the Original HDD was hooked to.
Leave HDD Unplugged for now.
Start Computer... it should all work fine..
After it get's to desktop and all seems happy.. Restart the computer Twice... just experience talking here... no real "reason"

I've done this about 200 times in the last 6 months.. I'm a "tech" and I PUSH SSD Drives to "everyone" i work with.

And.. I HIGHLY Suggest you just get the 500gb, Samsung 860evo, it's only about $22.00 more and WELL Worth the extra space.

What you will find.. is 250gb drive may fill up FAST... and for the extra 22-25 bucks.. you can feel "free'er"

o.. and if you can swing it.. the 1tb, Samsung 860evo is around $128.00 right now.. not too shabby..

Plus... you are gonna love the BOOT from SSD, around 7 seconds to desktop... FREAKING SWEET!

Have fun

I love this stuff
-sapphire
I appreciate the detailed post and I'll follow it exactly. I've already ordered the SSD but I think I'll buy a 500GB or 1TB SSD in the near future, just to start installing games on.

So, this leads me to a question. I built my sister-in-law a low-end gaming PC (she really only plays The Sims) and about a year ago, it stopped booting (can't remember why now).

I had put Windows 10 on the SSD and her games went to a mechanical 1TB drive. When I reinstalled Windows, it wiped her mechanical drive and we had to reinstall all the Sims games (she is a fanatic and owns all of them) and download all the mods. So, I learned to disconnect all the other drives, like you said, before reinstalling Windows.

I'm sure I chose the SSD to reinstall the OS on. But why did it wipe her mechanical drive in the process? And thank goodness she didn't have anything important on that PC.

Again, thanks to everyone for helping me out here. You guys are wonderful!
Closed Thread