Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Installing New Internal Hard Drive

This is a discussion on Installing New Internal Hard Drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The hard drive on my old laptop is failing. I would like to replace it and I would like to

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

The hard drive on my old laptop is failing. I would like to replace it and I would like to find out how to install my Windows 10 and my apps and files. I have a complete backup on an external hard drive with a boot disc to that backup and I have a flash drive with a backup of Windows 10. If I install Windows 10 only, I will have to go the route of installing everything else manually.
Can I install everything using the backed up image or do I have to install Windows 10 and then install the backup or install everything manually?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

One of the easiest ways is to use an Apricorn SATA Wire Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit with USB 3.0 Connection ASW-USB3-25 (Grey) - $20.99 (USD)
  • Connect the SATA end of the enlosed cable to your new hard drive,
  • Connect the other end of the cable to one of your laptop's USB ports (preferrably USB 3.0 port),
  • Run the enclosed CD to clone your old hard drive to the new hard drive through the attached cable.
  • Now power down, replace the old hard drive with new one and boot up. That's it. You're done.

BTW, recommend getting a SSD instead of a hard drive. The difference in speed is amazing.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The Good Dr's suggestion is great, but if the HDD is failing, you may not be able to clone the failing HDD to the new.
If you have a complete backup of your system, including Windows, you can put the new HDD into the laptop, attach your external backup drive and then boot off of the Boot CD and Browse to your Backup Image and choose Restore to the new HDD. Either method should work for you.