Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Installing new hdd on a Dell

This is a discussion on Installing new hdd on a Dell within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Four years ago I bought a re-furbished OptiPlex 760 from Dell for my daughter. I upgraded it to Windows 10

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Four years ago I bought a re-furbished OptiPlex 760 from Dell for my daughter. I upgraded it to Windows 10 last year and it worked quit well up until late March when the old hard drive (1Tb) died. I bought a new Seagate just like the one that died and haven't been able to get it working ever since. In researching the history of the machine, at time of manufacture it had Windows XP Pro 64Bit installed. But, before it left the warehouse, it was upgraded to Vista Business OEM. When it came back to Dell, it was upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64bit cannot format the hard drive. I keep getting an I/O error. Windows XP Home 32bit can format the drive but tells me it can't install. I think the only way that I'm going to be able to get this machine back up is to get a Windows XP Pro 64bit ISO and a Vista 64bit Pro ISO and make bootable USB drives to re-create the original environment. So that said, where can I obtain the needed ISO files and are there special USB installation files needed.
By the way, I tried using WinPE ADK and got into Disk Part, but, Disk Part cannot Clean the HDD or partitions. And by the way, Dell longer supports the Operating System for the OptiPlex 760.
Any suggestions? HELP:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

normally to install windows 10 you would need to download the Iso. and burn using imgburn and boot from the cd/dvd drive.

after loading the ISO click on advanced options and clean install the next section you should be able to partition and format the hard drive.

If you have changed the partition other than ntfs it will not work you need to use diskpart to clean the disk and change the partition to nfts.

If not windows can't install on it.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:44 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Disk Part, but, Disk Part cannot Clean the HDD or partitions...... Windows 10 & 7 Pro 64bit cannot format the hard drive. I keep getting an I/O error.
An I/O error means Input/Output error, meaning, the HDD has an issue.Or the SATA cable or SATA port hs an issue, try changing the cables or It probably has too many bad sectors.
You can remove the HDD from the computer and attach it via a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure. Find out what drive letter the HDD is now that it is external. Start an Elevated Command Prompt and type the drive letter of the HDD (ie) G: and press enter (ie) G:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Then type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will go thru 5 stages and it will take a long while. If it freezes at one spot for hours or takes overnight or longer, then the HDD needs to be replaced
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

I took your advice and hooked the new hdd to my computer via usb and ran chkdsk as admin. It found no problems of any kind with the hdd. Also checked sata cables & ports and didn't find any problems. I've tried to format the hdd with win 10, Win 7, Win Vista, and even Win XP. No success. Win XP will run format all the way to the end and then tell me that it can't install. Any more ideas? Dell does not support the operating system for the OptiPlex 760 anymore, and the drivers (Dell) aren't recognized by the machine. It will only accept a signed driver.??
Anymore suggestions?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Put the HDD back in the computer Boot off of the Windows installer, Windows 10 or 7.
Choose your Language. Choose Custom Install. In Drive Options or Where it says to install Windows, Delete ALL partitions, so the drive is all Unallocated Space, now go Next. Windows will automatically create partitions and format them during the install. You do not need to partition or format, let Windows do it.
If this fails, then possibly one of the RAM modules are bad. Remove all but one, swap them around, change the slot they are in etc.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

I appreciate all your suggestions, and I have tried them all, but I'm still batting 000. I've run all the onboard Dell diagnostics and everything seems to come up PASS. I even tried testing the SATA cables today and they test good. I have taken the new hard drive out and hooked it to a win 7 laptop via usb and I can access the drive, make a primary active partition (the whole 2Tb) and even format the drive to NTFS. Put it back into the Dell and try to install Win 7x64 Pro (Licensed) and it will run for a period of time and tell me that it can't install, or (format). I've been fixing computers for twenty three years, and this is the first one I have ever had a problem with. HELP???
Old 06-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you follow the suggestions in post #6? (ie) Don't create a partition, Don't format it. In the troubled computer, boot off of the Windows installer Delete ALL partitions so the drive is totally Unallocated Space, and go Next Windows will automatically create partitions and Format them. If that fails, then you have an issue with the RAM.
Remove all but one module of RAM, download Memtest burn it to a CD with IMGBurn or a USB Flash drive. Boot off of media and run the test for at least 7 passes each on each module separately. If you get any errors, that module is bad and needs to be replaced.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygeek View Post
I appreciate all your suggestions, and I have tried them all, but I'm still batting 000. I've run all the onboard Dell diagnostics and everything seems to come up PASS. I even tried testing the SATA cables today and they test good. I have taken the new hard drive out and hooked it to a win 7 laptop via usb and I can access the drive, make a primary active partition (the whole 2Tb) and even format the drive to NTFS. Put it back into the Dell and try to install Win 7x64 Pro (Licensed) and it will run for a period of time and tell me that it can't install, or (format). I've been fixing computers for twenty three years, and this is the first one I have ever had a problem with. HELP???
I think I found a clue.....In your first post you say it's a Dell desktop with a 1TB drive that died and replaced it with a Seagate of same size. Assuming you mean a 1TB HDD.

Then in this post you say a 2TB HDD......and the red light goes off. Your Dell may have a size limitation of up to a 1TB HDD.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I would need the system specs to confirm this. You could go to Dell's website and input the service tag number to bring your exact model.
Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Also, since this in an old Dell there may not be any driver support for windows 10.
https://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/...c_Sheet_en.pdf
Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Depending on the actual pc age I think BassFisher is correct and you could prove it by partitioning the drive into 2 partitions on another pc and then try the install.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

Mistake

Oops, I guess I made a typo error. It is in fact a 1 Tb drive. What I took out was a 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda, and that's what I'm trying to put back in. Sorry I mislead you, but, I'll be the first one to say, I'M NOT PERFECT. I'm human and therefore prone to make a mistake once in a while.
Closed Thread