Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Installing a hd problem

This is a discussion on Installing a hd problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I just recently bought a new computer sence my old computer broke i wanted to put the main harddrive

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #1

Hi I just recently bought a new computer sence my old computer broke i wanted to put the main harddrive that was in my old computer to my new one. My new computer uses an IDE drive and my old HD is a SATA with windows and everything on it and was wondering how to have windows read the drive but not start up from it. My computer currently doesnt see it at all in my computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 02:23 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

First you will have to find out what controller you have on your motherboard for the sata ( be it Intel or promise ect) this should be in your manual. You will have to install the non raid driver. You will also have to go into the Bios and make sure the sata controller is in ide mode and not raid mode. Go into the boot section of the bios and under the options you have there you should find a hard drive option. Make sure your IDE drive is first and your sata second as this will determine which drive the system will look to boot.You can also just check the boot order and make sure it is CD rom/your ide HD and then floppy.Be sure to save any changes you make by pressing F10 usually.

P.S. If you get stuck and would like some more specific info post your motherboard specs and or model so we can have a look at what controller you have and we should be able to tell you what driver to install. The instructions I gave you are general and if you have a moderate level of comp knowledge should get you through
Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #3

i have a abit kn8 Sli mobo but the only thing my manual that i can find on serial ata is that

(8). Serial ATA Connectors

"These connectors are provided to attach one Serial ATA device at each channel iva Serial ATA cable."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The Sata ports are running off of the nVidia NF4 chipset.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #5

so what does that mean?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sorry, I should have been a little bit more clear with what I said.

Look for the drivers for the NF4 chipset. There may be two sets of them, or two options when you install them. Choose the non-RAID drivers. Install those, and as BlackDuck said, go into BIOS and make sure the SATA configuration is set to IDE and you should be all set!
Old 07-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #7

i cant seem to find it can someone help me a little?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:04 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

What can you not find, The driver or the bios setting ?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #9

ok i think i figured it out but when i install this do i need to put the windows disc in and hit f6 or what ever

https://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/dr...t_name=KN8+SLI
Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #10

i also ave a floppy called NvRaid driver so i guess thats it but i dont know how to install them
Old 07-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

there may be an exe file on the floppy or you can go into the device manager and there should be a yellow mark on mass storage controller, right click that and go to properties,then update driver and point it to the floppy dive, it should do the rest. If it does ask what driver make sure it is not the raid driver
Old 07-14-2006, 05:50 PM   #12

theirs no exe in on the floppy and i dont see anything in my device manager

Old 07-15-2006, 12:21 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

have a look under SCSI and Raid Controllers and find the controller you are using and update the driver from there
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #14

Theirs only one its called vaxscsi controller i think i updated it so ill restart and plug in the hd and see what happens.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #15

nope nothing but even when i plug in the SATA drive I cant feel it spinning im not sure if it even does but i can feel my ide spinning
Old 07-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

have you checked the controller in the bios to see if is in raid mode or ide mode, it should be in ide mode
Closed Thread