Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Install Win7 from Recovery USB Drive on VisionTek M.2 NVMe Drive on Dell Precision

This is a discussion on Install Win7 from Recovery USB Drive on VisionTek M.2 NVMe Drive on Dell Precision within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Scenario: Dell Precision 5510 Laptop that stopped booting to Win and ChkDsk unable to resolve corrupted system volume at Recovery

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Scenario:

Dell Precision 5510 Laptop that stopped booting to Win and ChkDsk unable to resolve corrupted system volume at Recovery Command Prompt. Purchased new M.2 NVMe Visiontek drive from Dell and also a recovery usb drive for the original Win7 Pro OS.

I have NO experience or knowledge of M.2 drives and especially the nature of the NVMe drives. Thus, I've spent hours upon hours attempting to learn how to install Win7 to this new drive.

VisionTek doesn't offer any drivers on its website and doesn't even list any M.2 NVMe drives as current products and they don't appear in the support or FAQ area either.

I have attempted to follow BiOS setting procedures from Dell's website support article

"RAID On" enabled in BIOS.
"UEFI Boot with Legacy Option ROM enabled" in BIOS.

Still no luck. I can provide pics of BIOS options if this helps.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with installing Win7 onto a NEW M.2 NVMe drive using a recovery usb drive? Would there be any difference in making this happen if I purchased a Win10 Pro installation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

Update: Visiontek confirmed no drivers are necessary / available. Must be a BIOS settings issue.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

That's right, no drivers are required. What Windows 7 installer do you have? DVD or USB Flash Drive?
With the setup media in, Boot into Setup (Bios) On the main page, it should list all hardware and drives, is your M2 SATA drive listed? Go to the Security tab, if Secure Boot is enabled, using your Enter and Arrow keys, Disable it or change it to Setup Mode. Go to the Boot tab. In the Boot order choose Legacy Boot and Move the media drive (ie) DVD or USB to First Boot Device, Save and Exit.
When you restart it should say Press Any Key to Boot from.... this will start the Windows installer. At Where to Install Windows, it should show your M2 drive. Leave it as Unallocated Space and go next, Windows will create partitions and Format them during the Windows install.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks spunk.funk.

Yes, those are the settings I started with just based on my understanding. However, I end up with a USB Error after repeated attempts. I assumed that meant I wasn't using correct BIOS settings. Thoughts? Here's the error ...

"USB Error
To continue, remove usb key

Turn off system by holding the power button down for 10 seconds
Reinsert key and press power button to turn system on
Press F12 as soon as the Dell Logo appears
Select USB Storage from the boot menu and press Enter to continue."
Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In Setup (Bios) the Hard Drive mode should be set to AHCI and not RAID.
If you have the ISO image for Windows 7, download Rufus in my signature. Under Partition Scheme, take the drop down arrow and choose GPT partition scheme. Choose your ISO image to burn to your Flash Drive. https://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-windows.html
If Windows 7 fails, then download the ISO image for Windows 10 and burn the image using the Media Creation Tool. Or Rufus. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

As a test, I downloaded and installed Win10 successfully and it actually activated (I assume thru a prod key stored in the BIOS??). I realized that I needed to go back into the bios and set the boot sequence to use UEFI, etc. However, unless I leave it on legacy boot, it will not boot to the M.2 NVMe drive. Thoughts?

And, even more strange ... for about 30 minutes all was well in the use of it. Then, all of a sudden without any reason, the Wireless adapter stopped working. And, stopped even showing up as an available network adapter. When I go into Device Manager, it shows up without any issues. I downloaded the latest driver from Dell's website on USB and installed, but still does not appear. If I restart the laptop, it appears and works for a few seconds and immediately disappears. Very strange!! Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you used the Microsoft Media Creation tool or Rufus with the UEFI partition scheme, you could have changed the Bios back to UEFI and it would recognize the installer and you could install Windows 10. The product key for Windows is stored in the UEFI Bios. If you changed it to Legacy, and installed Windows, then you can't change it back to UEFI. But that is not a problem as long as it works. If you want the UEFI bios, then you will have to change it in the Bios and then reinstall Windows.
As for the Wireless, go to the Device Manager, and Uninstall it. Now install the downloaded driver. It should work. If not, try reinstalling Windows with the UEFI Bios enabled.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks spunk.fund.

I used the Media Creation Tool and created a bootable USB drive. However i was never given the option of creating it for a UEFI partition scheme. I grabbed a different usb drive and tried it again and still no options for type of partition scheme.

I uninstalled the wireless adapter, restarted, then went to Update Driver and chose the extracted driver obtained from Dell for Win10 64bit. However, after a bit of time installing, it gave me an error ...

"Windows encountered a problem installing the drivers for yoru device ..."

Never used Rufus. So, I guess I can try that utility in the event it offers the UEFI option. I assume this may make a difference for the issue with the wireless adapter?

Edited to add: After creating the bootable usb drive with RUFUS, do I simply copy the ISO file for Win10 over to the drive? I don't see an option when creating the drive using RUFUS to include a ISO file. Thx
Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member

Update: Successfully installed latest wireless adapter driver. However, after a few minutes, it disappeared again. Device Manager shows "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 43)" So, could this be associated with installing Win10 via legacy vs. UEFi??

Edited to add: I'll be downloading bios updates, driver updates, etc. from dell in hopes that resolves the issue.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Bios Update and All Driver updates made no difference. Wireless adapter continues to stop working via Code 43 in Device Manager.

I see where to choose the Win10 ISO in Rufus now. I will try that next and attempt to install Win via UEFI scheme and start over. I will give an update ...
Old 01-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The link in post #5 for Rufus https://www.eightforums.com/tutorial...e-windows.html has step by step instructions with pictures Scroll down to Step #5. Be sure to reset the Bios before booting from the Flash Drive.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
Registered Member

Installed Win10 via UEFI using RUFUS successfully. Had to download all Dell drivers due to unknown devices in device manager. Even after updating bios and all drivers, the Intel wireless adapter still did not work. After hours and hours of trying various things (downloading directly from Intel, etc.) I finally went out and purchased a USB wireless adapter and it is working. I have NO idea what is going on with Intel's 8260 dual band wireless adapter, but it is crazy frustrating and there are tons of folks having the same issues out there from my research.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Remove the USB WiFi dongle. Press the Win key+X choose Device Manager. Under Network Adapters. If you have any Intel drivers installed and there is a Yellow flag, right click and Uninstall it. Press the Win key+X and choose Apps and Programs and right click and uninstall any Intel WiFi drivers.
Go to the Dell Support site for your model Support for Precision 5510 | Drivers & downloads | Dell US. Be sure you have installed all 4 Chipset drivers First. Then at the very bottom of this list, there are Two WiFi Drivers, neither of which are Intel, the 1820A being newer and 1830 WiFi drivers. In the Device Manager, Right click any device, and choose Scan For Hardware Changes. Do not install any drivers yet. When you download the WiFi drivers and Run them, they Unzip to a folder on your HDD. Usually C:\Dell\Drivers. Take note of where it unzips to. Once it unzips, it will start the install. If the install doesn't start, go to the unzipped folder, open it and right click Setup.exe. If one WiFi driver doesn't work, try the other.
If all fails, then update the Bios from the download page.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 PM   #14
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Any chance you turned off Radios ?

Check for a key combination on your laptop (Fn+F7 or probably a different key, the picture on the key should tell you it's wireless) and you should get a prompt Radio is on.
Closed Thread