Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

install 1tb sata hard drive to ide motherboard--please help

This is a discussion on install 1tb sata hard drive to ide motherboard--please help within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, first of all, thanks for the help. I bought a 1tb seagate hard drive for my dads work computer.

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Hi, first of all, thanks for the help.

I bought a 1tb seagate hard drive for my dads work computer. He has security cameras on the computer and the computer it is pretty up to date. i would say 2-3 years old at the latest. it does not have a sata motherboard. it is still an ide motherboard. Well, he needed more memory so his camera system could store videos for longer than 2 days before it gets deleted. His current hard drive is a 200gb HDD. Well when i opened his computer, i immediately realized that i couldnt install the SATA drive, and so i ordered this part from ebay:

New 2.5'/3.5' Drive SATA to ATA IDE Converter Adapter

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-2-5-3-5-Driv...3A1%7C294%3A50

I put the part on and installed the hard drive. when i turned the computer on, that is when i had some problems. it never loaded up, it never left the screen where it says windows is now starting. Then after powering off and on, it let me click the button to start in safe mode, but it still never started. I dont know what to do, can anyone help me. i need the old original hard drive to be the main hard drive and i need this new one to be a secondary hard drive.

i could really use some help on getting this hard drive installed before my dad kicks my ***.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hmmm with a 200 GB drive The problem doesn't sound like a 48 bit LBA error or you would be limited to 128 Gig on the current drive. The pic looks like a pretty bog standard converter to convert a SATA device to ATA cabling, but if you read the descriptions ( which are a little tough to do ) it sounds like it converts an ATA device to SATA cabling. The pics just don't look that way tho. But it is a possibility. The other problem I see and what may make it going the other way is there is no facility to select master/slave for the drive you are adding. Even tho SATA drives don't have a master/slave setting, when you convert it to an IDE drive, it needs to be set. The symptoms you are seeing are often caused by improper jumper settings. This adapter does have a switch to se the master / slave option for the SATA drive attached. https://cgi.ebay.com/Serial-ATA-SATA-...3%3A1|294%3A50 Might want to try this one.....
Old 03-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #3

Nah, I'd chunk that cheesy adapter thingie and get a real SATA card, like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815280003

Converts PCI slot to 4 SATA ports. This is a professional, working computer. You need to put the money into the money-maker.

There are others, but since your motherboard sounds as old as it does, I didn't think it would have a PCI Express port, So I chose this one. The cheaper PCI to SATA cards have some real problems, and I'd avoid them.

Might be time to tell the Pops he needs to put some money into his business, and upgrade that ancient dinosaur he's making you work on. Get a good LGA775 motherboard with a Q6600 quad-core and a couple of 1 Tbyte SATA drives, about 8 gbytes of RAM, and you'll be good forever.

Just tell the pops another old-fart on-line said "Penny wise and pound foolish".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fren Banklin View Post
Nah, I'd chunk that cheesy adapter thingie and get a real SATA card, like this one:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815280003

Converts PCI slot to 4 SATA ports. This is a professional, working computer. You need to put the money into the money-maker.

There are others, but since your motherboard sounds as old as it does, I didn't think it would have a PCI Express port, So I chose this one. The cheaper PCI to SATA cards have some real problems, and I'd avoid them.

Might be time to tell the Pops he needs to put some money into his business, and upgrade that ancient dinosaur he's making you work on. Get a good LGA775 motherboard with a Q6600 quad-core and a couple of 1 Tbyte SATA drives, about 8 gbytes of RAM, and you'll be good forever.

Just tell the pops another old-fart on-line said "Penny wise and pound foolish".

He is too cheap to get a new one. Plus the one he has runs really fast and it really doesnt need to be upgraded. It just sucks that they dont really make ide hard drives in bigger sizes and if they do, they are way too expensive. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Cool

I bought my first SATA hard drive about two years before I actually had a mobo that I could plug it into.
In the interim, I ran my SATA HD off of a SATA controller card plugged into one of my PCI card slots. It ran like a champ.

I think I paid about $29 for that controller card and still have it (somewhere).

If you get this to work, you might want to clone that old drive to the new one which will run a LOT faster, increasing system performance greatly.

I found that to be true on my old system.

Now I run nothing but SATA2 drives.
My new MSI mobo has six SATA2 ports on it. IDE is for CD/DVD drives only.

Good Luck,
Shadow
Closed Thread