Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Incorrect parameter

12K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I just recently plugged in my WD passport 1tb. I use the unlocker and put my password in. The directories do not populate and when looking at the hardrive its completely blue saying 0. It also says incorrect parameter and asking me to format the drive. Is there anyway i can recover my data. Since i probably have 600 gigs of items on it. Including many many documents and pictures.

#5 ·
First try it on another computer. Have you gone to Disk Management? does the drive show up there or is it marked as Unallocated Space? You can download this trial version of GetDataBack NTFS. Let it scan your drive and it will tell you what if anything it can recover. Then you decide if it is worth paying for.
You can also remove the HDD and attach it to a USB Adapter as the logic board inside the enclosure may have died.
Disassembling WD Passport with one hand - YouTube

#7 ·
Get databack NTFS seems to have found all of my files!! thank you but now i have another question. How can i take the files from my hardrive recover them and then put them back on the hardrive? The external has about 600 gigs of info on it. My computer hardrive can only hold 250 gigs. So how can i copy these files and put them back on the external?

#9 ·
Well the fact that you can recover the data is good news. If you have no place to put them, well, that is bad news. Surely you have a friend who can let you borrow some diskspace for a day or two?

Alternatively, you can do a little cheat... But I will warn you, it is "not fair and not sportsmanlike" as a certain comic character would put it.
You will need a little liqudity - some money you can live without for a couple days (you will get them back, don't worry).
Now, go and find an electronics store in your area, that does a sensible money back guarantee - at least 7 days. Make sure it actually works - ask around, google around, make a bogus story to tell the store clerk.
Now I am not sure what kind of use for an external disk you can think of, that would render the disk unusable, but you can not know it beforehand... Maybe you wanted to use it to store HD videos that you would stream on LAN to your TV, but some part of the chain is too slow or something.
Anyway, use the disk to store the recovered files, re-format your disk, copy back, put the "bought" disk to original state, and go return it.

#13 ·
The drive has failed. You can remove the drive from the enclosure and attach it internally to a computer or use a USB Adapter or a new enclosure. If the drive doesn't spin up or Get Data Back can't get the files then only the very expensive data recovery professional will be your only alternative. If you get Get Data Back to work you will need another drive of the same size to recover your files to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.