Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

I'm Trying To Like Win10, Really, I Am

This is a discussion on I'm Trying To Like Win10, Really, I Am within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. HP 8200 elite Windows 10 Pro 64 bit One of my external HDs is a 1 TB WD MyBook. It

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

HP 8200 elite
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

One of my external HDs is a 1 TB WD MyBook. It has been connected to my Dell Optiplex 745 SSF OS Vista SP2. When I wanted access, I clicked a shortcut icon and it opened up.

Yesterday, the HD in the Optiplex died. I unplugged the external HD and plugged it into the HP 8200. Today I try to open the ext HD. Windows says it is empty. I try to move an icon into drive and Windows says it is write protected.

I had a similar problem in the past. WD says this can happen when switching an ext HD from one computer to another. WD did not offer a solution. I resolved the issue but can't remember how. I hope I don't have to resort to Get Data Back. My only 2 copies are on the HD that died and on the ext HD that is supposedly empty.

Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Sorry to have troubled you fellas with this. I shut down and rebooted. The ext HD is there with all its contents. Go figure.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Rule #1, when something is not working on a computer, restart the computer. Many times, that solves the problem.
If an External Drive is not working, unplug the USB cable from the computer and restart the computer. When the computer fully loads, Plug it into the Back USB port (if a desktop) and not the front and it will usually get recognized.
This isn't a Windows 10 problem. These solutions have been around ever since Computers and External HDD's were invented.