Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

IDE to USB Adapter Not Showing All

This is a discussion on IDE to USB Adapter Not Showing All within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have several old 2.5" IDE notebook hard drives that I have been saving to retrieve the data from. I

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have several old 2.5" IDE notebook hard drives that I have been saving to retrieve the data from. I recently purchased a IDE to USB adapter and installed it with no problems. The Hard Drive is recognized in Windows Explorer and at first blush it seems to be working fine. The desktop I'm using is running Win 7. The notebook hard drive may have used an earlier version of windows (XP, 98, 95 etc.)

However, when the notebook was in service I recall creating a number of Directories in the C:\ Root directory such as "Photos" "OTR" and even one called "My Documents" (in addition to windows own). But in using the USB adapter to connect the drive to my desktop I cannot seem to find these folders I created or their contents. Using Windows Explorer I've searched the drive everywhere and can't seem to find them. I've even tried opening a command line and examining the drive using DOS with still no luck.

Is there something I else I need to do to find these important directories I created? I would be very grateful for any ideas anyone may have.

Redlyne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In Earlier versions of Windows, the User files are under C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\My Documents. Here you will find My Pictures, My Music, My Videos etc and probably your files you created.
In Windows Explorer, go to the toolbar to Tools/Folder Options/View put a check mark in Show Hidden Files and Folders to view hidden files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windows-xp-folder-options-view.png
Views:	8
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	321318  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You said you have several 2.5" IDE hard drives, but the one you're looking at doesn't show the stuff you saved. Maybe you're looking at the wrong drive, what of the others? Are they all clones of this one, so they contain exactly the same stuff?
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search