Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I unfortunately reformatted my external hard drive on accident!!!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Alt-rtt 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I just found this forum because I made an unfortunate mistake the other day. Short story... I accidentally reformatted my external hard drive (an Element) and when I realized what I had done I immediately just unplugged the USB from the computer. It was all a matter of several seconds. Unfortunately I think I lost EVERYTHING on that hard drive but the also big problem is that the hard drive no longer works. I plug it back in (I use an iMac) and it always says that the drive is not recognized. I also plugged it into my old laptop (an HP) and it also isn't recognized although it shows that something is plugged in. I used DiskWarrior and apparently my hard drive is so badly damaged that it can't fix it (which makes it more sadder for me). Now, is there ANYTHING I can do now??? Did I completely break my external hard drive completely rendering it useless and unusable?? Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
It's hardly likely that you damaged the hardware of the disk by simply unplugging the USB connector, only the file system on the disk are damaged, that's why you computer doesn't see it as a valid disk. So, you can try to recover the data. I recommend you to use R-Studio for Mac. You need to scan the disk and then recover files from a recognized partition. The R-Studio's on-line help explains how. Your case is 2. At first, I recommend you to scan only app. 2GB at the beginning of the disk. The help explains how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.