Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

I need to repair "Dynamic Disk Invalid" and "Write Protected"

This is a discussion on I need to repair "Dynamic Disk Invalid" and "Write Protected" within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had a 256GB SSD with multiple partitions that had Windows 10 on it. At some point in the past

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

I had a 256GB SSD with multiple partitions that had Windows 10 on it. At some point in the past I was force to convert it to a Dynamic Disk by Disk Management because it was the only way to support the partition layout that I wanted, or to shrink it or something fairly basic in the past. Fast Forward several months and when I went to install another version of Windows to this disk I was unable to and the error given was that the target disk had to be basic MBR.

I used some professional AOMEI software that purported to be capable of converting a Dynamic Disk back to a basic MBR disk without data loss. I got an error saying that some volumes would be lost if I proceeded about half way thru so I backed out of that and planned to backup my data and do it the MS recommended way via diskpart clean, etc. which would nuke the data.

Well I couldn't even get that far because now it shows as "Invalid" in both Disk Management and Diskpart. I tried following the video at the bottom of this post to repair the "Invalid" status, but when I try to save the changes in HxD I get a popup that says the disc is "Write Protected". I explored a registry edit related to write protection but that wasn't enabled anyways.

Right now I cannot even boot from that disk, but there must be something there because I am able to access some basic and useless windows recovery menus when attempting to boot from that disk.

Nothing is super important, but I would like to know a solution that doesn't involve data loss. I assume that if I were to select the disk in diskpart and run the "clean" command I could get the hardware to a usable state again, but I want to learn here in case I ever need to recover something very important in a similar case.

I plan to make a boot disc of Clonezilla and see if I can at the very least back up the disk in its current state before nuking it completely.

By the way I'm not sure if "insert link" is working as intended on your forum editor, it embedded the entire video and did not show my text anywhere. I was just trying to leave a link the video not embed it in the middle of my post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
At some point in the past I was force to convert it to a Dynamic Disk by Disk Management because it was the only way to support the partition layout that I wanted....I got an error saying that some volumes would be lost if I proceeded
the partition structure that you wanted that led you to convert the disk to Dynamic, will be the partitions that you will loose in converting it back to Basic disk.
You can use Aoemi or any other partitioning software like Minitool to try to convert it from Dynamic to Basic. Again, you will loose the data on the newly created partitions since the Dynamic conversion, but you should have everything still from before the conversion.
Of course, serious damage may have been done to the drives contents by stopping the conversion in the middle, once converted, you may still need to do the Clean command in Diskpart to gain access to the drive again: https://www.partitionwizard.com/part...k-invalid.html
Old 05-06-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
the partition structure that you wanted that led you to convert the disk to Dynamic, will be the partitions that you will loose in converting it back to Basic disk.
You can use Aoemi or any other partitioning software like Minitool to try to convert it from Dynamic to Basic. Again, you will loose the data on the newly created partitions since the Dynamic conversion, but you should have everything still from before the conversion.
Of course, serious damage may have been done to the drives contents by stopping the conversion in the middle, once converted, you may still need to do the Clean command in Diskpart to gain access to the drive again: https://www.partitionwizard.com/part...k-invalid.html
Is there any method which will allow me to read the data that was on it? I made a backup to usb drive using direct drive option in clonezilla Boot CD. That usb drive now also says "dynamic invalid" and I can't access anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Once you convert it to Basic Disk you should be able to read it. But cancelling a conversion in the middle can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems. You will just have to see once the conversion is complete.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Once you convert it to Basic Disk you should be able to read it. But cancelling a conversion in the middle can cause all kinds of unpredictable problems. You will just have to see once the conversion is complete.
That's the thing, there is no way to complete the conversion. The AOMEI software says disk is offline, even after making sure it shows as online in diskpart.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Use the other software that was mentioned in post #2
Quote:
any other partitioning software like Minitool partition Magic, Or Easeus Partition master
Old 05-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll see if mini tool has any better luck but I don't expect much here. Will probably have to do the clean command and lose everything.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:57 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

That would be your best bet.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
That would be your best bet.
I can't even clean the drive with diskpart, it says write protected. I tried opening it with the aomei software and it says the disk is offline even after onlining it in diskpart. I guess the only other option is to try minitool. Do you have any other ideas in case that doesn't work?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:03 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Neither of those were able to do anything. Minitool says the disk is Read Only and when I go to convert it to basic it just says invalid configure file.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

At least you tried.
Now you know not to stop a major process like conversion ton eliminate data loss.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
At least you tried.
Now you know not to stop a major process like conversion ton eliminate data loss.
It's not even about data loss at this point. It seems my ssd may be bricked. I don't know what other methods to try to refresh it.

Also I didn't really stop anything in the middle I just declined when it warned me that I'd lose some volumes upon conversion then windows said the disk needed a scan/fix so I ran that which took over an hour just to sit at 100% for like 20-30 minutes then I had to end the windows process.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Diskpart, select the disk, and clear the ReadOnly bit. then run the Clean Command. It then should show up as a disk with Unallocated Space in Disk Management.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...d-1227784.html
Old 05-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

You can get an idea as to the physical state of the SSD by retrieving its SMART report:

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE (disc editor and data recovery software)?

https://dmde.com/
Old 05-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks all. I was able to clean the drive after clearing the readonly bit. Recovered a few files with recovery software from the cloned image.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Glad you got it sorted. Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images