Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HP Pavilion x360 Hard drive long dst failure? help!

This is a discussion on HP Pavilion x360 Hard drive long dst failure? help! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! There's a problem with my pavilion laptop that's really serious and doesnt seem to be answered yet. The computer

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Hello! There's a problem with my pavilion laptop that's really serious and doesnt seem to be answered yet. The computer was running fine until yesterday when it started to run very slowly and made a strange static sound on the right side. after that the screen went black and it got stuck there. Therefore i made a forced restart and now it gets stuck in the "Diagnosing your PC" screen.

The laptop is a HP Pavilion x360 and it runs on Windows 10 32x-bit.

I read about similar problem on the internet so i ran a Hard drive check and i got this information:

Testing drive: 1 SMART check: Passed
Long DST: Failed
Failure ID: 90C7W3-7T88SR-GXGJLK-61A103
Hard drive 1

And that's all about it. is it a problem of windows or the hard disk drive? what should i do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The Hard Drive has failed, or is in the process of failing. The HDD needs to be replaced. Hopefully you have a backup?
Old 12-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Game Team Tech

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP (with the 24 character error code for the long dst failure) and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status

https://support.hp.com/us-en/checkwarranty

customer support

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

Old 12-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

hmm i do have a backup of mostly everything, just some save data from some games is still there. Is this a common problem? i find it very unfortunate that i have to replace it for such a sudden error... About the warranty it already expired as the pc is about 3 years old. Thanks a lot! ill change the HDD as soon as possible.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A HDD can last two weeks or it can last 10 years. You never know when they are going to go. So, always keep a current backup of your files on an external drive or the cloud. Most HDD manufacturers warranty the HDD for 2-3 years, so you can also contact them, but it would take 4-6 weeks to get a replacement, and it would be refurbished and not new and would fail faster then brand new drive.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

that's so strange. i mean, the HDD is a very important part in a PC they should be always tested before using them, so they are sure that it wont fail...well if its possible to do so though. If not, then wow that's really unfortunate :O Ill be sure buy a brand new one and to make backups of the data in my other pc's, just in case.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!
Old 12-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The HDD's are all tested and all work fine in the factory. But each computer has other factors that can make a HDD fail faster then other comptuers. (ie) Heat, insufficient power, Power Surges, Incompatibility with other hardware, Viruses, being dropped, banged etc. Everything has as shelf life, especially electronics which are far more sensitive. It's a part of life of electronics.