Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How to install new SATA HDD?

This is a discussion on How to install new SATA HDD? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am planning to buy a new WD 500GB SATA HDD. Just two days back I had a bad experience

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #1

Question

I am planning to buy a new WD 500GB SATA HDD. Just two days back I had a bad experience with RAID 0 where my 2 HDD (250GB each) crashed. Seems like I lost the data too.

I just want to buy 1 HDD with 500 GB and install it into my Dell XPS 410. Can i just setup SATA the way we used to setup ATA? Hook in the cables, partition and format and install the OS? I have never worked with SATA, so a little help on how to install a brand new SATA (without RAID) would be helpful. The way we used to setup ATA was Primary Master and slave for another HDD. Can same be done for SATA as well?

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
In & out... very busy

My System

No. No jumpers (apart from the one to limit the drive to SATA1, 1.5Gbps).
Just plug it in and install as normal.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:36 AM   #3

Just two additional things to check before you proceed (there's more, but that's the two bumps I recently experienced).
Look for the specs of the SATA controller. Just look up the name in the device manager and google away. Check if it supports SATA-300 or SATA-150 only. Second thing is check if it supports non-RAID setup. I had a Silicon Image 3112A built-in my motherboard, and I thought you could put a single SATA drive, but only after trying it out and searching high and low on the net did I find out it only supports RAID (0 and 1) but not single drives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
In & out... very busy

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah789 View Post
I had a Silicon Image 3112A built-in my motherboard, and I thought you could put a single SATA drive, but only after trying it out and searching high and low on the net did I find out it only supports RAID (0 and 1) but not single drives.
Thats a pain in the rear. Ive never come across that.
The SATA 300/150 support is controlled by the jumper on the SATA drive. If it has a jumper, it is likely capable of SATA 300 (SATA2). So you need to make sure what your motherboard supports.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

If the motherboard supports Sata, then it normally will support non-raid Sata although you have to set the bios to IDE mode in that case. If it supports Sata I and the drive Sata II, then the jumper normally needs moved so them are compatible. Otherwise, this is not a difficult task to accomplish.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
If the motherboard supports Sata, then it normally will support non-raid Sata although you have to set the bios to IDE mode in that case. *snip*
You can find the manual (revised edition 3, jan 2005) for my motherboard (A7N8X-E Deluxe) on the Asus site. Section 2.6 lists all the jumpers. There is only one (SATA_EN1) that relates to SATA, and it's to enable or disable it. Obviously, if it's disabled, the controller doesn't even show up in Device Manager. Furthermore, if you go to section 5.5, it has all the fancy steps to install a RAID 0 or RAID 1 array, but not a single word about installing a single SATA drive.
Perhaps I'm overlooking something... If so please point me in the right direction.

Hopefully SATA controllers available today that support any form of RAID also support single drives.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
Troubled

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hello Desi...
you might be asked to provide SATA driver or else your SATA HDD wont be seen in Setup...
You can provide SATA drivers either by floppy or by sleapstreaming [burning Windows XP + SATA drivers]

If you are using floppy, you need to press F6 when text-based portion of Setup starts...
later, during Setup you will be prompted to provide Setup with SATA drivers so your SATA HDD will be visible...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #8

Thank You all for the information. I do not have floppy drive installed in my system. I would be using Windows Vista on it. The only reason I am installing single HDD is because I just had a bad experience with 2 HDD with RAID 0. I cannot access windows because at the startup it says that missing OS. I am afraid that something went wrong with the MBR. Not sure if the data is still in there or not.
I am planning to unplug 2 already installed HDDs and install a new single SATA HDD in the system. Install Windows Vista on the new drive and then plug 2 old drives back into the system. System would boot into Vista using the new drive and then I might be able to pull the data back from the old HDDs. I hope it works :)
System is only 16 months old. It is Dell XPS 410. Anyone have any clue which motherboard is used in XPS410? I tried checking with Dell but they didn't proivde me the information.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
Troubled

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hello again...
Move 2 HDDs that are in RAID 0 to another PC with operating system on it...
Go into Disk Menagament and check which one HDD is missing or offline...
Break the mirror and take out missing or broken one...
Put back healthy one in your PC...
Start PC... I hope you will have your Operating System...
You need to break mirror and remove missing or broken one...
Report back please, I am really curious ^-^
Old 08-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #10

If I remove the HDDs from the PC, wouldn't I lose the RAID Volume?
If I break the mirror between the 2HDDs, wouldn't i loose the data bcz in RAID0, data is stored half n half.
How about installing a new drive in the current system on any available SATA and booting from that drive? Boot from the new drive and then access the RAID 0 drives. Any suggestion on that?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 AM   #11
Troubled

My System

Hello again...
You got me confused here mate...
You said you have mirror. Mirroe is RAID-1, stripe is RAID-0...
What type of RAID you have got???
If you have mirror, you can move HDDs to another PC and scan disks to check which one is offline or missing or broke...
You can replace missing disk [before that you must break mirror and take out broken one] and make new mirror...

If you have stripe set, if one disk fails then you will lose all your data...
That suggestion that you gave is good if you have stripe [RAID-0] set, try to install Operating System on another disk, import RAID-0 disks and try to backup files...
Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #12

I suggest you to try softweare like partition recovery in dos that can fix alot problems mbr, recover data etc.Just instal the third new hdd and let it serch after back up the files on the new hdd
Closed Thread