Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How To Fix a Broken Hard Drive

This is a discussion on How To Fix a Broken Hard Drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A couple of years ago I made the mistake of trusting a PC technician selling PCs he builds himself from

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

A couple of years ago I made the mistake of trusting a PC technician selling PCs he builds himself from a kit. About two months after receiving it, the hard drive failed and when I called a local technician, he recommended replacing it rather than fixing it, so I did. What he discovered was the original HDD was a not new but had been refurbished. If possible, I would like to salvage it and use it for backup. Is it worth repairing or should I just throw it away? It's 750 GB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

Hi and welcome to TSF

Kind of depends what failed on it. If it is just it would not load/run the operating system, it still can be used. If the board failed still possible to be replaced with another just like it. If it does not "spin up" i.e. bad motor it is trash.

Unless there are files that real important, not worth messing with, IMO.

BG
Old 11-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Normally hard drives are repaired only for the purposes of data recovery. Such repairs are considered temporary and not sufficiently reliable for continued use. Even if you do the work yourself the cost could easily exceed that of a new drive. And after the drive is functioning you may find it has other problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

It never makes sense to try to repair them as parts would be very tough to find unless you found the same drive used and you still would not know if the parts you need actually work.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks, guys. I will take your advice and throw it away and release the whole experience.

I learned an important lesson -- to buy technology products from trusted sources only.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

That is a lesson well learned.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread