Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How to disable write protect?

This is a discussion on How to disable write protect? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to recover data off my old computer's C drive, which I have removed from the computer. I'm

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Part Time Repair Tech

I am trying to recover data off my old computer's C drive, which I have removed from the computer. I'm using a SATA to USB convertor to connect it to my new computer. The drive is recognized. I copy and paste the documents and settings folder and it copies for about 2 seconds then stops and gives me an error telling me that it's write protected or in use. I tried unchecking "write only" for the folder and all of it's contents, but that didn't work. Still won't transfer.

I heard that this may be a jumper on the drive that needs to be removed possibly? I see that there is in fact a jumper on the drive.

I also heard that you turn off write enable in the bios? Not sure about that either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You are copying it to the drive in the new computer correct? Which OS is it booted to? Almost sounds like a permissions issue
Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
Part Time Repair Tech

Yes. To the new computer indeed. I think you're right. A permission issue. Do I need forensic software to obtain permission? A saw one software that can work around it but it was over $1,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
Part Time Repair Tech

I found some info that might be helpful to anyone who runs into this same problem....

Permission Denied work-around: You need to set the "Administrators" group as the owner of the folder you select, as well as all the files and folders contained within that folder. You can do this from the GUI inside of the security tab, under advanced, and under the owner tab, and checking the replace owner checkbox.

The second command adds a permission giving either you specifically or all users full access to the folder and every folder and file underneath the folder you select.

You can do this from the security tab by adding a permission from the GUI, assigning it to either your username or the users group, and checking the allow box under full control.

Vista Command Prompt steps:

- Click Start
- Type: cmd
- Right-click cmd when it appears
- Click Run As Administrator
- Change location to the folder you need access to (e.g. cd e:\folder)
- Type: takeown /F . /R /A /D Y > NUL
- Type: icacls . /grant USER:(OI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q
(Where USER is your username - you will only have access from your XP and Vista machine in this case) (Or, replace USER with Users if you want anyone [on any computer your hard drive is plugged into] to have full access to these files)
Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Yeah permission does not require forensic software, just admin access, which you should have on the new install. If it was a forensic case then you would need a way to work around it since you couldn't make any changes to the evidence drive. If XP simply right click on the folder, properties -> security tab -> advanced -> ownership -> take ownership you will need to do this to each folder. also on the advanced tab, check the box to apply to all child objects....
Closed Thread