Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How to convert External Simpletech to Internal HDD (Desktop W7)?

This is a discussion on How to convert External Simpletech to Internal HDD (Desktop W7)? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Rig: z68 1155 socket motherboard (yet to order) lian li pc-9f i5-2500k intel 320 SSD W7x64 Corsair TX750 8GB G.Skill

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rig:
z68 1155 socket motherboard (yet to order)
lian li pc-9f
i5-2500k
intel 320 SSD
W7x64
Corsair TX750
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3

I'm building my first custom RIG.. extremely bad timing with HDD $ increase so I'm not buying one until spring.

I have an Intel 320 120 GB SSD to use for OS/Programs.. but I'm SOL for my data drive..

Turns out I have a Simpletech Pininfarina 120GB that I use for backup and just found out I could use it as my internal data drive until the HDD prices come back down to $50.

I found a thread in here that answered one part of the question - that I can do it, but this is my first custom RIG so I just have a couple questions..

1) Is there a method to the madness of cracking open a Simpletech Pininfarina.

2) Will it be designed for a laptop or desktop? If so, will I need to convert it to Sata right? And how would I do that?

3) Will I need to buy a mounting bracket?

4) How fast and what technology is my Simpletech Pininfarina compared to the 7200 RPM HDD Seagates I was looking at?

Any tips are really appreciated. Nice looking forum btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
The simpletechs I've seen have Seagates as an internal drive. Open it up pop it in and it will probably be more stable, you'll eliminate the whole USB translation. Using USB for drive access is onften the root of the problem, particularly if you ar3 using it for on-line storage rather than archiving and backup
-This is from 2009 in this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Looks like a 2.5" drive which is a laptop sized drive. Getting these cases open is usually a matter of using a thin screwdriver to pry the plastic case open. If there are screws hold it together that would make it easier to open. You'll need a special bracket unless your case has a spot for a 2.5" drive which it may.

It's probably a 5400 RPM drive but you can check the label when you open the case. Chances are it's SATA so you should be able to plug it right into the motherboard with a data and power cable.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

It worked thanks!

I opened it up and it's a Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1200BEVS 120GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 1.5Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive.

This should hold me over as my primary HDD until prices come down. The only thing disconcerting is the 1.5 GB/s but I truthfully don't know how much worse it is than 3.0 GB/s??

Newegg.com - Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1200BEVS 120GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 1.5Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This bracket should do the trick right? 4.99 free shipping.

Newegg.com - BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Yes, that should work to allow you to mount the drive in a 3.5" HD bay.

How do the drives mount in your case? Do they use rails? You might want to make sure those will work with that adapter.
Closed Thread