Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How to Clone/Image hard drive

This is a discussion on How to Clone/Image hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive on my PC. My current drive is running out of space and I

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'm looking to upgrade the hard drive on my PC. My current drive is running out of space and I would like to clone/image it to a bigger, 1TB drive.

I've been looking into different programs such as Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, and others. I would like suggestions as to which program is best for the task at hand.

A free option would be great, but if I have to purchase such program that is fine as well.

Please post your suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I've always had good luck with Acronis. A free alternative would be CloneZilla or Macrium Reflect.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPC
I've always had good luck with Acronis. A free alternative would be CloneZilla or Macrium Reflect.
Is it pretty easy to do with either one you mentioned?

I plan on connecting the new drive to my computer externally through a Nexstar drive dock while doing the cloning of the original drive as there is no other bay available. My computer is a small form factor, only room for one hard drive. Will this be a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

It's fairly straight-forward, just be sure you select the proper source/destination so you don't wipe out the original drive. External should be fine and then you can just swap the drives and keep the original as a backup while you test the new clone.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks for the feedback. I had an idea, but wanted to be as clear as possible. Also found a detailed guide: https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-..._to_disk_clone

Will be buying the new drive on CyberMonday. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Easeus Disk Copy is another good free resource. I have always found the free programs take hours whereas Acronis will do it in about 10-15 minutes so if time means anything to you, I think Acronis is the fastest and easiest to use.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
Easeus Disk Copy is another good free resource. I have always found the free programs take hours whereas Acronis will do it in about 10-15 minutes so if time means anything to you, I think Acronis is the fastest and easiest to use.
Time is not much of an issue. Ease of use is my primary concern. From looking at the Clonezilla guide, it looks pretty straight forward. Looking forward to ordering the drive and taking on this little project.

This is the drive I'm looking to buy:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bar...
https://tinyurl.com/6mvbjo5

Originally was going to go with a 1TB, but saw this one and the price is really good. Only thing is that the reviews are not too good. Seems like a lot of them fail quickly.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

All models have some issue. I very rarely have a drive fail. Chances are you'll be fine but as with any data, always keep good backups.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

We generally recommend not going bigger than 1 Tb because drives larger than that can be quite unstable over time.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M
We generally recommend not going bigger than 1 Tb because drives larger than that can be quite unstable over time.
This is why I was originally going for a 1TB. I came across the 2TB for that price and figured I would go with that one. I haven ordered it yet.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPC
All models have some issue. I very rarely have a drive fail. Chances are you'll be fine but as with any data, always keep good backups.
Yes, I'm a backup freak. I keep a backup of all important data on an external drive I have just for this purpose. I always stress to family and friends how crucial it is to have a backup, and a current one, of all important data.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi,

I'm also looking for backup/recovery options. On the Acronis or any others mentioned does it have an option to recover from a dead hard drive? For example it probably would need to use a bootable recovery CD. Here's a review site.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Same price, but which would you recommend:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007603%20600003483%20600003269&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=14|22-148-840^22-148-840-TS%2C22-136-939^22-136-939-TS

or for $10 more, same capacity:

WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5, SATA, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache at TigerDirect.com

Thx
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Oh please that's a "no brainer". Always the WD. Or I could say it the other way as never the Seagate?
Actually given the choice of both WD the Green is probably more desirable though I doubt one is better than the other really. Remember Tiger has freight as well and "the Egg" does not. The Black label is actually considered to be the best WD and I believe comes with 5 year warranty. However that said, I never buy by warranty with a hard drive because whether it fails in 1 year or 5, they replace with refurbished anyway which makes the replacement of less value especially if the drive is new.

Closed Thread