Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How to access files on hard drive?

This is a discussion on How to access files on hard drive? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ugh. So I was forced to do an update on my laptop and the update stopped it from starting correctly.

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ugh.

So I was forced to do an update on my laptop and the update stopped it from starting correctly. I had menus and whatnot to work with when I rebooted, but no recovery mode or command prompts would successfully help me get back into my computer. So, I had to try to find a way to save my files before starting anew from a Windows CD. First thing I did was get Linux on a USB. This worked and I then transferred these files over to my storage drive. After obtaining a Windows CD online, I now have a working laptop again. The only problem is I don't have permission to open my damn files from my storage drive. I know they are there since if I try to copy and paste the folders, I can see the many files being copied - but I do not have permission to even view the folder. I've tried changing permissions and adding permissions, which I've seen suggested online but it doesn't help me at all.

What on earth can I do? These files are precious to me.

I hate Windows, man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

How to Add “Take Ownership” to the Right-Click Menu in Windows Explorer
Old 12-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Alright got that far. But my files are unable to be opened. I tried using a Linux reader but I'm lost. It's definitely the folder from my harddrive, it must be given how long it took to paste the folder, yet I'm not seeing anything?

Here's what I got:

I need these files, they were my life for many years. I know I copied them on my harddrive too, because it took hours to copy. I don't understand how they disappeared?

Thank you so much for your reply btw!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

I also have no idea if this is relevant, but I can't open these, is there
anything to have hope for?

Old 12-25-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A Linux Swap volume is Virtual RAM (ie) Hard Drive space used to increase the RAM temporarily. In Windows it's called a paging file. This is not an accessible partition to the user, there are no files there to look at.
The DiskInternals reader allows you Read Only access to your files. If you copy the files to your Windows Partition, you should be able to open them. Do not be concerned with anything other then the Yellow Folders, the other files are not relevant to your files. Once the Yellow Folders are copied to a Windows partition, if you have trouble opening them, Take Ownership of them.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
A Linux Swap volume is Virtual RAM (ie) Hard Drive space used to increase the RAM temporarily. In Windows it's called a paging file. This is not an accessible partition to the user, there are no files there to look at.
The DiskInternals reader allows you Read Only access to your files. If you copy the files to your Windows Partition, you should be able to open them. Do not be concerned with anything other then the Yellow Folders, the other files are not relevant to your files. Once the Yellow Folders are copied to a Windows partition, if you have trouble opening them, Take Ownership of them.
I've tried taking ownership but I don't think it made any difference. here is what's in yellow folders:

Old 12-27-2017, 01:29 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As you see by the Size column on the far right of your picture, showing each file is 1KB. Linux didn't find any files of any size. Except for NTUser.dat which is the Windows Registry portion of the User files and not the actual file.
If you still have access to the HDD these files came from, you can make an Image File of the drive Using HDD RAW Copy and save that to your external and use a program like TestDisk to scan the Image, not the drive, to try and recover your files. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
As you see by the Size column on the far right of your picture, showing each file is 1KB. Linux didn't find any files of any size. Except for NTUser.dat which is the Windows Registry portion of the User files and not the actual file.
If you still have access to the HDD these files came from, you can make an Image File of the drive Using HDD RAW Copy and save that to your external and use a program like TestDisk to scan the Image, not the drive, to try and recover your files. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
I had to ask just to be sure
Trying your advice now, thank you very much!
Closed Thread