Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How old can a hard drive get?

This is a discussion on How old can a hard drive get? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. In March of 2014 I purchased a custom PC from Milwaukee PC. OS is WIN10 Professional. It has performed great

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

In March of 2014 I purchased a custom PC from Milwaukee PC. OS is WIN10 Professional. It has performed great for the entire time. It has two internal 2GB WD 7200RPM drives, 32 GB of DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT630 2GB, and a WIFI card. I want to know when I might expect those drives to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

No way to know. Depends on usage. Could last 15 years or 2.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OshkoshJohn View Post
In March of 2014 I purchased a custom PC from Milwaukee PC. OS is WIN10 Professional. It has performed great for the entire time. It has two internal 2GB WD 7200RPM drives, 32 GB of DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT630 2GB, and a WIFI card. I want to know when I might expect those drives to fail.
Your motherboard most likely supports S.M.A.R.T and will start warning you of imminent failure. However, some failures are abrupt and happen before any S.M.A.R.T events are triggered. Considering the low cost of HDD storage, I really hope you have a backup in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

HDD's can fail at any time. You can put in a brand new one and it could fail. Or it could last 10 years or more.
As stated, the more you use and access a HDD the more wear and tear and aging will occur. As also stated, always keep a backup copy of all your files you don't want to loose.
Download Crystal Disk Info standard edition to check the Health of your drives. Test them periodically.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

also depends on the make and model of the hard drive. I have had several ST3000DM001's (about 20+) fail within 6 months.
I have a 125mb (yes MB) disk from 1994ish that's still going strong.
Closed Thread