Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do I remformat a System Hard drive to use as an external?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  richztech 
#1 ·
My friend gave sold me the hard drive from his sister laptop, I was planning on using it to store photos and such on it. When I docked it on my SATA dock originally 1 new hard drive showed up but given a few seconds 3 others showed up, labeled; System, Local, HP Tools, and Recovery. The Local drive doesn't show any information and when I right click on it explorer.exe freezes. None of them have more than a Gigabyte except for recovery, but when I click on it there is nothing shown within it. When I try to reformat any of them windows explorer freezes. I want to know what I can to do reformat the drive and eliminate all the other drives that show up. Thanks.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
In your Start Search box, begin typing Computer Management. When it appears at the top of the window right click it and select Run as Administrator.

Go to Disk Management. Identify the disk and right click each partition and select Delete Volume.

Note, this will remove the existing file structure and should allow you to repartition and format the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.