Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

how do i assign drive letter to drive :(not as easy as it looks)

This is a discussion on how do i assign drive letter to drive :(not as easy as it looks) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi guys basically im running BART PE its an operating system on a cd. im using it with a tool

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #1

hi guys
basically im running BART PE its an operating system on a cd.
im using it with a tool to recover my hard disk files, and copy them from one hard disk, to a new one i just bought.
the new one i just bought is SATA and the old one is IDE.

well basically i used this tool called getdataback, to recover my files.
however im at the step of saving them onto the new disk.
when i hit browse, although my new hard disk is showing in bios; its not showing up in BART PE.
so basically i cant save anything onto it. i assum its RAW with no partition and file system like NTFS which is what i want.
on top of this, the big problem is i dont have disk management
and 'DISKPART' doesnt work in command prompt.
well basically, im limited to what i can do in BART PE
is there any other way i could assign a letter to this disk and then format it to NTFS using command prompt, or some other method, because im pulling my hair out struggling to think of a solution for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Roaming To Help

Hi

AFAIK SATA drivers will have to be loaded in Bart PE or the drive won't be picked up.

Can you not place the onto a CD/DVD or a USB drive?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #3

i dont have cd-rw available.
and i plugged in my new usb stick, but its not recognising it?
i know if i restarted my pc, i could use the recovery console on the win xp installation disk to format the drive.
but if i restart ive just wasted 3 hours scanning the disk :( and i need to do all that again.

edit: ok i decided to restart and i used the method i mentioned above. unfortunately, im recovering around 155gb or hard disk data from my old hard disk, however when i formatted the new hard disk, it only allowed me to create a partition of 128gb and no more. :( meaning when it comes to the point of copying files from one disk to another, i will have to leave some files behind which is a shame.
however my removable disk and the new hard disk are now recognised.
is there anyway i could increase the partition size of the new hard disk, because i bought a 250gb hard disk, so im basically missing around 125gb of disk space!! which i really need if i want to recover all th 155gb of data from my old hard disk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Roaming To Help

The problem with Bart PE is it recognizes limited components. UBCD4Win is better with many more options.

As I stated, AFAIK a SATA drive won't be recognized unless Bart PE has it's drivers - for most, that will be a no. Don't really know what else to advise.

Someone else may know more.
Closed Thread