Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

How can i whittle-down a drive full of 64 and 32 bit apps

This is a discussion on How can i whittle-down a drive full of 64 and 32 bit apps within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an old ACER 64 bit machine that is quickly losing its USB ports and I (there is only

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an old ACER 64 bit machine that is quickly losing its USB ports and I
(there is only one left of the nine) want to know if I can move the contents of the 64 bit drive to a 32 bit machine(?) Will the apps work on the 32 bit machine? A lot of the apps are 32 bit anyways and worked on the 64 bit machine. What about the opposite? Is this a windows 10 board question or is it just a matter of the way info is stored on the two machines (hard drives)?
Both computers run win 10 home edition...

How do I move just the 32bit apps from a 64 bit system to a fresh win 10 drive that is in a 32bit system? The win 10 on the 32 bit is pre-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi,

As you are aware, 32 bit will run on a 64 bit machine but I'm afraid the opposite is not possible.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 09-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You cannot move an App to another computer, you have to uninstall it from the source computer, and then reinstall it on the destination computer. As stated, 64 bit apps will not install on a 32bit computer, but 32bit apps will install and run.
You can have as many apps as you want, it will not effect USB ports. USB ports are hardware that is supported by the computer and the Windows drivers. If your USB ports aren't working, then you have a hardware problem, not software.
Unless you are talking about a USB HDD? You may have Apps stored on a USB HDD but they must be Installed on the C: drive to run on the computer, so if you remove the USB HDD the apps should still run.
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

I've had USB ports stop working because I overloaded them and had to be reset. I've had USB ports stop working for no reason I could figure out.

Try what is stated here. Not complex, except for the final method.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...t-a-usb-device

Steve
Closed Thread