Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Help with new hard drive!

This is a discussion on Help with new hard drive! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok. So I recently just recieved a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 from my brother. He purchased a new gaming

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #1

Ok. So I recently just recieved a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2 from my brother. He purchased a new gaming laptop so he did not need his Desktop anymore. The catch is, he gave me the computer, but took out the hard drive.

So I purchased a new hard drive:SATA 3.5" Internal Hard Drive by Seagate w/ 500GB of Space.

Now, I know nothing about this stuff but I managed to physically put the hard drive into the tower and plug it in. However when I started the computer the only message I saw was.....

Phenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04
Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd. Coyright 1990-2004 Dell Computer Corporation
All Rights Reserved

Dell System Dimension XPS Gen 2 Seies
BIOS version A04
www.dell.com

SATA Primary drive 0 not found
Primary drive 0 not found
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility...

So it looks like the computer does not see the new hard drive.
Where do I go from here. I also have a copy of Windows XP Pro that has to be installed on this new hard drive as well. Oh and the Hard Drve came with a Disk that says "Disc utility Software and Manual," and I assume i nee windows to run that disk? I really appreciate any help that can be given. TY :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Check the stickies here for a walkthru on how to install a SATA drive. Make sure the PC can support SATA2 otherwise you will need to jumper the drive to run at SATA1 speed. Sounds like the SATA port is turned off in the BIOS. Which SATA port did you connect to? And you did connect power to the drive correct? You won't need the install disk once you get the drive recognized.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:43 PM   #3

Well I connected what looks to be the power cored to the back of the HD. It looks like as follows: A small plug with 5 little cords comming out of the back of it :Size: " |_-------| " (colors Yellow,black,red,black,orange) and it bundles up and leads to what looks to be a plug on the side of the card connected to the motherboard that has ports on te back of my comp for a microphone and speackers and such. Then there is the much smaller cord which is the ATA Serial Cable I believe :Size: |_---| and that one plugged into a very small spot directly onto the motherboard about 4 inches below the RAM. Ty very much for the response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #4

Ok so i opened up the tower and looked with a flashlight, i did find the left over ATA Serial Cable and just attached that to my new HD. When I went into the BIOS it now shows the Hard Drive and the Capacity.
as for everything else...
this is what it looks like in Drive Configuration

SATA RAID ....OFF

SATA PRimary Drive .... Hard Drive
SATA Secondary Drive ..... OFF
Primary Master Drive ..... Unknown Device
Primary Slave Drive ..... OFF
Secondary Master Drive .... CD-ROM Device
Secondary Slave Drive ..... OFF

IDE Drive UDMA ..... ON

If I turn the Primary Slave Drive to Auto, when i boot the computer, instead of it just saying Primary drive 0 not found.....
it now says
Primary drive 0 not found
Primary drive 1 not found

I dont know if this helps at all but looking forward to some more info.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Set the bot order to boot to CD, put your XP disk in and install away!!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #6

I disabled the other 2 options to boot, and left only the CD to boot, but im still getting the Primary drive 0 and 1 not found and all it says after that again is
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.
when i hit F1 it keeps repeating itself and when I hit F2 it goes to BIOS again.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Turn the primary off, it is the Primary IDE and has nothing on it right? set it to off, set the SATA to compatibility mode or IDE mode. Set the boot order to CD then SATA 0 or SATA Primary
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #8

okay now it looks like this

SATA Primary Drive ...OFF
SATA Secondary Drive ....OFF
Primary aster Drive ....OFF
Primary Slave Drive ....OFF
Secondary Master Drive .... CD-ROM Device
Scondary Slave Drive .... OFF

IDE Drive UDMA ....ON

this is my new settings and it did take away the whole thing with Primary 0 and 1 but i still get the msg that asks
Strike the F1 Key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility, it will not boot up the copy of windows, could this be because its a burnt copy of windows? Is that why it might just be saying retry after I hit F1?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

You also aren't showing the primary SATA drive. Did you just disable the Primary Master, or did you disable both that and SATA primary?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 PM   #10

I also turned off the SATA Primary as well.
Now the options above were under the Drive Configuration...
If you are refering to the option "Boot Sequence" where it lists as follows
1. IDE CD-ROM Device
2. Diskette Drive
3. Hard disk drive (not istalled)

I disabled #2 and #3
Old 03-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Turn on the SATA primary, that is where your HD should be, can't install to a hard drive that is turned off Leave two and three enabled, just make sure cd is first.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #12

I did this and I am still receiving the same message. For whatever reason the XP disk just isnt booting up.
Closed Thread