Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Help with internal hard drive!

This is a discussion on Help with internal hard drive! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, I just bought a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive for my desktop. What I want to

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I just bought a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive for my desktop. What I want to do is run it alongside my current hard drive, so I can dramatically increase my storage space. I need to make sure I know what to do before I attempt this though which is why I'm here! :)

My current drive is a Seagate 250GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB HDD. My motherboard has quite a few different ports for multiple hard drives, and I have four slots with the black side clips for hard drives in my case. I only own one SATA data cable, so I had to order another one off of Amazon, so I am currently waiting on that. I also have a very long cable coming out of my power supply with multiple SATA power connectors along it. Once I get my data cord, if I just plug one of the power connectors into my new drive and the data cable from my drive into my motherboard, am I all set, or is there something I need to be aware of to get this hard drive to work? Thank you very much!

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Just plug in the data cable and the power connector and turn on the machine. Windows should detect the drive automatically when you log in. Then you need to go to Disk Management and initialize, partition and format the drive.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Seems simple enough. Can I reach Disk Management through Device Manager?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

no in the control panel click on admin tools

click on computer management

then look on the left

Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

Some older motherboards (eg those with VIA chipsets) are limited to SATA-1. If you have one of these, then you may need to jumper your drive for 1.5Gbps.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzabkar View Post
Some older motherboards (eg those with VIA chipsets) are limited to SATA-1. If you have one of these, then you may need to jumper your drive for 1.5Gbps.
My motherboard is an ASUS X58 Motherboard P6T Deluxe. I got it a few years ago, so I think it should be okay.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

this question may sound dumb to some people but I need to know how to initialize,partion the new internal hard drive?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
I need to know how to initialize,partion the new internal hard drive?
Quote:
no in the control panel click on admin tools
click on computer management
then look on the left
As dai said, go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc Right click the diskmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator.
In Disk Management a new disk will automatically trigger the New Hardware Wizard and just follow the steps. If not, then on the left panel you will see the disk # (Disk 1, Disk 2 etc) right click that and choose Initialize the drive. Once it is initialized, you can right click the Unallocated Space to the right and choose to create a New Simple Volume and Format it NTFS.
Closed Thread