Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Help with e-machine HDD

This is a discussion on Help with e-machine HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I got an e-machine 5250 that's factory fitted with a SATA HDD. The system also has a DVD

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,
I got an e-machine 5250 that's factory fitted with a SATA HDD. The system also has a DVD drive connected by cable to an IDE slot on the mother board.

I am trying to connect the IDE HDD from my old computer as a slave to the e-machine but I'm having problems. I have set the IDE HDD jumpers to slave settings and connected it to the spare connection on the IDE cable connecting the mother board to the DVD, but when I try to boot I get a blue screen. Can anyone offer advice on how to get this thing going?

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 AM   #2

You have not thought about the computers bios! With a machine as old as a e-machine, its BIOS probably does not recognize 2 hard drives. So when you plug in your second hard drive, even though you may have the jumper settings correctly, the computer is expecting a DVD drive, not another hard drive.

To fix this, you can probably find a modified BIOS which you can flash to your motherboard in order to do this. On the other hand, some BIOS's are fairly flexible (such as the BIOS's stocked on Dell computers) that by clicking F2 or F11 on startup, you can edit the BIOS settings right there.

Roundup: You need to edit your motherboards BIOS settings to allow for 2 hard drives.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try connecting the drive from the old computer in place of the cd drive . . some motherboards will not handle a hard drive and a cd drive on the same ribbon, particularly if the ribbon is 40 wire and not 80 wire. Set the Jumpers as Master when you do this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #4

Another thing you can do is to set the old HDD jumper to cable select and see if that helps fixes your problem.
Closed Thread