Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Help with ddrescue

This is a discussion on Help with ddrescue within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am pretty much a noob when it comes to linux, but i can use my brain, so I

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I am pretty much a noob when it comes to linux, but i can use my brain, so I try.

So, I had (still have) a bad HDD and I used ddrescue on /dev/sdb, which has only one partition, /dev/sdb1 (first noscrape, then -r3, then -r3 -R) to recover 99,99% of my data to an image (.img).

Now I don't really know how to continue, I tried writing this image on a new same size (1TB) disk and it shows unallocated data. Figured the partition table is missing, used sfdisk to copy partition table from old disk to file then from file to new disk. Still doesen't work. Tried mounting the image says it can't find image in /etc/fstab.

Now I am kind of lost and ask guidance from tech overlords. Thanks for any information regarding this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 02:17 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

To mount it in Linux, you need to know the block size and calculate the correct offset using the start-block since this is a full disk image..

So did you recover a partition or the disk ? Windows should be able to mount either.. From your post it looks like you've recovered only the partition...

If you have Windows 10, you can use the native feature, just right click the IMG file and see if you're able to mount it as a disk (Right-Click--Mount).. If the IMG file type is mapped to another application, right-click the IMG file, Use Open-With and choose Explorer..

Old 03-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for such a fast response.

If I try and mount it in windows 10 I get an error message "The dics image file is corrupted."

This is the command I used:
# Command line: ddrescue -f -r3 -vvvv /dev/sdc /media/root/BackupImages/Backup/recovery_verbosenoscrape.img /root/recovery_verbosenoscrape.log
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I believe you have to scan and recover data in Linux, DDRescue won't work in Windows.
If you still have a problem, you can try HDD Raw Copy tool. This is a Windows app that you can make an Image file of the drive and open any Windows Data Recovery program like TestDisk or I have had the best luck with GetDataBack, and scan the Image file and restore your files to another drive of the same size or larger.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Just a tip, others might disagree, do not try to retry reads on bad sectors if you're HDD is failing quickly, this will probably cause more strain on the Disk, better to read of the readable sectors get a healthy img first and come back for the Bad sector ones.

I haven't used DDR a lot, but the Syntax looks correct, probably someone else can make suggestions...

And looks like you're backing up the entire drive and not just the partition. If you want a GUI mode to grab a full disk image, try CloneZilla.
Clonezilla - About

Get a full disk image file and then go after the bad sectors..

Old 03-09-2018, 01:12 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If a drives file system is listed as RAW, Clonezilla and other imaging programs won't be able to make an image of the drive, but programs like DDRescue and the Windows program HDD Raw Copy will allow you to make an image and then you can scan as much as you like with whatever data recovery tools on the Image file and not on the failing HDD.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:56 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Thanks Spunk, haven't used HDD Raw, looks good though.. Clonezilla does come with the rescue flag which does this, I think...But it's been a while since I used it, so my knowledge could be rusty..

Old 03-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

@tristar, was your drive originally in a USB enclosure? If so, then it may be encrypted. Could we see the contents of sector 0 in a hex editor or disc editor (eg HxD or DMDE)?
Old 03-13-2018, 02:23 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Hey @fzabkar, I'm not the OP.. @Synrox can you respond to this post ?

Old 03-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
Registered Member

So, the drive was not encrypted, I don't know how to get the contents of sector 0.

If I try and mount it in windows 10 I still get an error message "The disc image file is corrupted."

I tried to mount it in Linux, offset by 2048 * 512, half successfully. The image mounts, but i get an "input /output error"

I have managed to rescue most of my pictures, but for some files I get an error "Couldn't copy on disk, input/output error."

Maybe the error is because I mounted a 1TB image (on an external drive) on a 120GB SSD? I am not familiar with the inner workings of mounting images.
Closed Thread