Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! RAID/Hdd problems!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Ok so a few years ago I bought a laptop from WidowPC (Sting 917), and now that it is no longer under warranty my Hard Drive dies on me. Local shops wanted like almost $400 to fix it. So I bought a Seagate 160GB 5400RPM/Pata (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?EdpNo=2226986)

My computer runs Windows XP Professional, and I originally had it in RAID 0 when I ordered it, and everytime I would reformat I had to insert a floppy and use the F6 option for the drivers, I no longer know what those files were, or where or how to get them.

Problems:

-Shows that the Hard Drive is installed when I boot up.
-I get a BSOD when I try to do anything to a partition (Because I have nothing to install with F6?)

I really hope somebody can help me, cause I'm seriously stumped on this one.

#2 · (Edited)
Ok I'm back, and I'm going to give you guys some more information.

Computer: Sting 917 (Widow PC)
BIOS: Phoenix cME FirstBIOS Notebook Pro V146 1.00.07

When I boot up I see the following:

CPU = Intel(R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
1023M System RAM Passed
2048K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
ATAPI CD-ROM: PHILLIPS CD-RW/DVD-ROM SCB5265
Mouse Initialized

As I mentioned before when I bought the laptop I had to option to put the Hard Drive in RAID. I chose RAID 0 (Performance). When I installed the hard drive I was getting "No Array Defined" so I defined it as RAID 0. Now in the BIOS I have the option of "ATA Mode" or "RAID Mode", and I get the same outcome for either mode. If I put my cd in to install Windows I go to the screen to install, and once I get to where I can choose,make,edit a partition to put it on, any option gets me a Blue Screen telling me to disable caching,shadowing etc (I can't find these options in my BIOS)

It also shows the HDD in the boot up(after the first screen listed above). See the following:

SATA378 TX2p(tm) BIOS Version 1.00.0.33
(c) 2002-2005 Promise Technology, Inc. All Rights reserved

D0 ST9160821A 149GB Ultra DMA 5

IDE BUS Master Enabled

-or-

System Configurating Data Uploaded

...then it reboots goes to the BIOS screen above..and then goes to "Operating system not found" unless the Windows XP CD is in the drive..then it goes in to that setup.

I've also got the following message on a few boot attempts:

FastTrak 378 (tm) BIOS Version 1.00.1.35
(c) 2002-2005 Promise Technology, Inc. All rights reserved.
Scanning IDE drive.........................................................

BIOS Not Installed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.