Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Needed To Recover Data from WD My Book

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
Hi there. I have a 1 TB WD My Book external harddrive. I recently dropped it and now it's stopped working. My Sony laptop doesn't recognize it at all. However, when I go to Devices and Printers, I see the the My Book icon there. The hard drive's still spinning, and the white light comes on when I plug the power adapter in.

At this point, I'm just worried about getting all the data off of there. I'm an amateur photographer and have about 4 years of photos and videos in there! Someone tell me that there's hope out there, anything using testdisk or whatever? Thanks in advanced!

#2 ·
I have no idea where you are located due to incomplete profile. I do data recovery for a living so this advice is coming from a "pro" Do not continue any do it yourself recovery on this drive (it wont work!) the drive has sustained physical damage due to the "fall" continuing to power it on will only damage it further and chances of recovery are less and less. The drive needs pro recovery. Send it to Jon in Atlanta at Data Savers the cost will probably be way less than you expect. They are WD Authorized. I don't work for them just can't hawk my own services and not trying to. Data Savers, LLC - Low-Cost Data Recovery - 1-866-MY-DATA-4

Now the next thing you need to do is have backups at least store your important data on 2 mediums DVD's CD's or other hard drives don't trust your important data to 1 portable drive. Its cheaper than data recovery and as an amateur photographer its a good business decision for client jobs assuming you shoot for $$$

Best of luck and let us know how it goes with Data Savers or who ever you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.