Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

help changing failing hd on a discontinued PC

This is a discussion on help changing failing hd on a discontinued PC within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi, running Windows 10 home on a lenovo ideacentre y720 cube, 256gb ssd for C and 2tb Seagate ST2000DM001 for

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By tristar
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

hi, running Windows 10 home on a lenovo ideacentre y720 cube, 256gb ssd for C and 2tb Seagate ST2000DM001 for D drive per Device Manager. Have been hearing increasing clicking whirring and now trouble with startup. Iím guessing D is failing. The D drive currently in there has horrible reviews.

Question- if I buy a different similar internal hard drive, eg WD RE4 WD2003FYYS , how could I get drivers? And if I want to upgrade to something really different like an SSD how would I get drivers? Lenovo has discontinued this and I couldnít find links for drivers on Lenovo.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There are no drivers required for HDD's and since you already have an SSD, there are no drivers required to add another SSD. They are provided by the Windows OS.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you! Any thoughts on an SSD that would pop easily into a 3.5 inch SATA enclosure? I am not skilled at all. Probably going to be getting someone to help but they may not be very knowledgable either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Are we talking about an External USB 3.5" Enclosure or are we talking about the 3.5" enclosure inside a Desktop computer?
For an internal desktop, there are 3.5" to 2.5" mounting brackets https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3.5+brack...b_sb_ss_i_1_12
If you want to put it into an existing 3.5" USB Enclosure, you are better off getting a new USB 3.0 2.5" Enclosure instead.
newbee_4 likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

D drive is an internal hdd. making lots of clicks etc so i was thinking to replace with a different internal drive. the current form factor is 3.5 inches in some kind of bracket, i guess probably thatís typical? but since i have to replace it, was wondering if a ssd is an option (i havenít looked at prices yet for a 2tb drive though my impression is ssd drives have come way down in price).

if ssd isnít an option, either wonít fit or too expensive, will be looking for a 2tb internal hdd to fit.... would love suggestions. the drive in there is a seagate that has mediocre to poor ratings and has been discontinued. seagate st2000dm001. the current version of similar drive not totally clear to me.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbee_4 View Post
D drive is an internal hdd. making lots of clicks etc so i was thinking to replace with a different internal drive. the current form factor is 3.5 inches in some kind of bracket, i guess probably thatís typical? but since i have to replace it, was wondering if a ssd is an option (i havenít looked at prices yet for a 2tb drive though my impression is ssd drives have come way down in price).

if ssd isnít an option, either wonít fit or too expensive, will be looking for a 2tb internal hdd to fit.... would love suggestions. the drive in there is a seagate that has mediocre to poor ratings and has been discontinued. seagate st2000dm001. the current version of similar drive not totally clear to me.
That bracket is removable, I believe, and is necessary so as to easily fit the drive into its bay. If you opt for an SSD as a replacement, you would need to fit it into a 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket such as the ones on Amazon that spunk.funk linked to and then attach that 2.5-3.5" bracket to the stock bracket that's currently attached to the failing HDD.
newbee_4 likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

And just FYI.. a 2 TB SSD would probably cost approximately half the actual cost of your computer.. So the price might not be as low as you might think..
Stancestans likes this.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #8
Registered Member

just was looking, 2tb ssd with ok ratings can be under $300

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...b_2_5_ssd.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_2tb_ssd.html

but way more than hdd.
for hdd, what do you think of

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...drive_for.html

vs
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._internal.html

? Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Seagate used to be a premium drive brand, lately they have large failure rates. We do not suggest getting a Seagate drive. The WD Black is a great drive and well worth the price.
An SSD is a great option, it works best as the drive that Windows is on but not necessary if using it for a Data drive. A mechanical data drive is fine unless you have the money for an SSD.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

perfect. i think i should be all set for this thread to be closed, thank you all very much!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

done! and thanks again, all
Closed Thread