Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Can't format hard drive

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LMiller7 
#1 ·
I just bought a 500gb WD My passport to put my movies on so i can plug it in to my dvd player. the orgininal format is NTFS and my dvd player only supports FAT32. i went to format my hard drive using the windows disk management and unchecked 'quick format' not realising that there was not FAT32 as an option an i chose exFAT. it was taking to long so i clicked cancel, now when i went to format it using Acronis True Image Home 2012 I get an error message saying 'the drive cannot find the sector requested'. i have looked online but can't find anything.
PLEASE HELP!!

#2 ·
You really shouldn't have stopped the format... That can result in serious damage of your harddisk. Try directly connecting it to a pc and installing an OS into it... the OS installation should format it and make it usable again.

#5 ·
ok so how do i install the OS on to the external hard drive
All you need is usb drivers for that particular machine
There are no drivers required for USB devices in Windows and computer bios's . They are loaded automatically by the OS and the Bios. Do you want to Install an OS? Or just Format it FAT32 to put your movies on? As dai suggested, wipe the drive with Active@KillDisk and then you can format it with Acronis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.