Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD stops 'working' when CD drive is attached.

This is a discussion on HDD stops 'working' when CD drive is attached. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently got an old computer from a friend - I swapped out the 160 gb SATA in it for

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #1

I recently got an old computer from a friend - I swapped out the 160 gb SATA in it for a western digital 80 gb.

The problem is with the extra computer - I want to format the 80 gb and install win xp.
I connected the HDD, it works fine - but when I also connect the cd drive, the hdd is no longer considered attached. This problem only happens when the cd drive is powered, not just merely connected.

So, in order for me to format, I need to have both drives connected.

Any advice?

EDIT: The 80 does not have an OS currently installed - I am checking the drive statuses in the BIOS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Is the 80 a SATA or IDE, if they are on the same cable check the jumpers, HDD as master CD-rom as slave. Since it is WD make sure it is master w/slave, not master no slave
Old 02-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
Is the 80 a SATA or IDE, if they are on the same cable check the jumpers, HDD as master CD-rom as slave. Since it is WD make sure it is master w/slave, not master no slave
It is IDE.

Well, when both are connected, neither are considered installed, therefore neither being a slave or master.
if just the HDD is connected, it is considered master, same goes if just the CD-rom is connected, it id master.

I believe jumpers work fine, as the CD-rom works when the HDD is not connected and vis versa.

EDIT: If it matters, this is an E-Machine t5026.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Verify the jumpers, sounds like they may both be on Cable select, set them directly as master and slave.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #5

How do i set them directly when both are considered not installed?

Would I do this when only one is plugged in, and how would I go about doing this?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

The HDD should be jumpered as master, the CD jumpered as slave, assuming they are both on the same cable - The jumper positions on the Drive should be on the label, on the CD the positions are usually stamped right above the jumper blocks MA = Master SL - Slave CS = Cable select
Old 02-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #7

Oh, thank you very much. I will check this and post my results.

I'm not (at all) versed in jumpers, so this is a positive learning experience for me.
Closed Thread