Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDD R PSU problem

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bigdog2626 
#1 ·
lately my pc has been acting up over the last three - five months
right now it seems fine & usable with the way i got it rigged

i had a capacitor blow before my sata hdd started to act up like it was going to fail & once in a while it will sound like a engine trying to start
i was told my cmos was going out but to see if that maybe was the cause i unplugged the sata connection from the mobo and it actually sounded like a car that kept trying to start over & over didn't stop just kept trying to load
i have been running disk check for a while but heres the latest

i think it might be a psu issue which would need to be fixed asap but i dont have the $$$ to fix that & the hdd i would like to fix which ever is the problem
any thoughts on which is it the psu R hdd
R tips on figuring out which one

See less See more
#2 ·
We need to know the computer specs and hard drive specs make model size age etc? The chkdsk is not a great sign. If you do not have a good backup that is the next step to fix this. I am going to assume the hard drive is starting to fail but you indicate $$$ are low even for a power supply so you are going to have to wait till you get sufficient funds to make repairs either way.

#3 ·
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
Motherboard Wolfdale 1333-D667
Memory 3.00 GB
Hard Drive Western Digital 320GB-WDC WD3200AAKS
the hdd went out of warranty about a year maybe a lil less
right now im putting like 120gb+ on the hdd & no sounds nothing just doing its job

#5 ·
i unplugged the sata connection from the mobo.....sound like a engine trying to start.... didn't stop just kept trying to load
If you unplugged your SATA HDD from the motherboard, what was it trying to load? The BIOS information? So, help me understand. You have no SATA drives plugged into your computer and it is making a noise and trying to load? Or are we talking about your HDD making the noise? Check Disk found no Errors on your HDD. Take the side of the case off and blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Turn the computer on and make sure all fans are spinning and are not obstructed by wires. If you want, you can download the WD Data Lifegurad ISO for DOS image and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests on the drive.
As for the PSU, open the case and look at the label, report the Make, Model# and Wattage. Boot into Setup (Bios) to PC Health or some such and report the +12V line of the PSU.

#6 ·
Run WD diagnostics on the hard drive both tests short and long
both failed this time around i ran this test a month ago and only the long test failed
If you unplugged your SATA HDD from the motherboard, what was it trying to load? The BIOS information?
i have no clue but it kept sounding like a engine trying to start
i do have one sata drive plugged in right now to both mobo & cpu which is the failing drive but its not trying to load right now & not sounding like an engine trying to start
in the 1st post is a check disk
report the Make, Model# and Wattage
when i find this info i will post it i know i typed it somewhere that way i ain't got to open it up
Boot into Setup (Bios) to PC Health or some such and report the +12V line of the PSU.
will do on next boot

but this drive is going to be failing so might just rule out the psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.