Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD partition / formatting issue

This is a discussion on HDD partition / formatting issue within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB HDD I purchased for use in a new build computer. When loading XP

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB HDD I purchased for use in a new build computer. When loading XP I kept getting an error and the OS wouldn't load all the way. At first I thought it was a deffective HDD and replaced it with another new one. The same problem occurred and the problem ended up being a bad stick of RAM. After replacing the RAM it worked fine and I left the second drive in the machine. I now want to use the original drive in an external enclosure as storage only, but I can't wipe the partition off that XP started creating. I've tried Seagate's disk keeper and no matter what I do I cannot get the drive to show as more than 32GB. I've tried low level formatting, but it will only do the 32GB partition. I want to Wipe this disk clean and get the full capacity out of it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

use Boot & Nuke = free in my signature links
Old 03-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #3

LLF should have destroyed all the partitions on the drive. Try DBAN from https://dban.sourceforge.net/
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[RESOLVED] formatting HDD after RAID 0
Hi, I am trying to format a 60GB HDD that was used as part of a RAID 0 and I am having trouble. Windows XP shows it as having a capacity of 111GB, which it obviously does not. when I try to format it, I get an error message that just says "windows was unable to format the drive" any help...
PestCon Hard Drive Support 4 02-22-2007 03:23 AM
s-ata HDD detection issue
Hello! I dont visit this site often but I've noticed that you guys are very helpful in general. I've browsed this forum looking for issues that are very similar to mine but I didn't find any good matches. My computer system: Athlon 64 3200+ Radeon 9800 xt Asus K8v deluxe MB can't remember...
Kromos Hard Drive Support 4 10-01-2005 02:14 AM
problem solved, problem gained
Well, I figured out stuff and got my new drive to work. Now I have unallocated space and I want to make use of it. Yet it's been a long time sence I learned about partitions. Do I want a logical drive or an extended partition? ... I want to have some storage space aside from my primary partition.
FALLOUTGOD Hard Drive Support 3 04-16-2005 09:12 AM
Hdd partition has vanished
Hello there, I just formatted my 40gig Hard Drive and then partitioned it . 8 gigs for the OS and the rest for games and stuff only the partition for games and stuff has not shown up in "My Computer". Thankyou for taking the time to read my thread.
mexican(Aus) Hard Drive Support 14 09-24-2002 07:03 AM