Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD not showing up?

This is a discussion on HDD not showing up? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, today I got my seagate 8TB HDD, plugged it in my motherboard and I cant see it. I open

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hello, today I got my seagate 8TB HDD, plugged it in my motherboard and I cant see it. I open up my computer and there is only the disk I have from before not the new one.

Windows 10 and the motherboard is MSI K9ND Server Mainboard
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A brand new HDD has to be Initialized, Partitioned, Formatted and assigned a Drive Letter before Windows will see it in Windows Explorer.
Press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. This should start the New Disk Wizard. If not, in the lower pane, right click the Disk# (ie) Disk1, Disk2 etc and choose to Initialize the drive GPT not MBR, once Initialized, you can Partition and Format it NTFS.
You can also do this with a 3rd party app like Minitool Partition Manager.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:57 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
A brand new HDD has to be Initialized, Partitioned, Formatted and assigned a Drive Letter before Windows will see it in Windows Explorer.
Press the Win key+X and choose Disk Management. This should start the New Disk Wizard. If not, in the lower pane, right click the Disk# (ie) Disk1, Disk2 etc and choose to Initialize the drive GPT not MBR, once Initialized, you can Partition and Format it NTFS.
You can also do this with a 3rd party app like Minitool Partition Manager.
Got it working, thank you very much for explaining :)

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toshiba Extrnal HDD (USB) Files Showing
Hi guys need some help. I have a Toshiba External HDD (USB). I can still see the folders but no file inside the folder. (see as attached) Already tried to show all the the files but still not showing. I checked the properties and shows the files still there. (see the attachment) Im...
pancake5 Hard Drive Support 5 10-08-2014 03:42 PM
My 1.5 TB Ext Seagate HDD crashed and data is very imp due to some Medical reasons
HI All, Sorry for troubling everyone here who are relaxed! I am in huge trouble, My 1.5 TB External Seagate HDD crashed. I logged onto my comp and found my hdd which was connected in afternoon was not showing up. Then saw that the HDD was showing up as Mass Storage, but not letting me to...
solvent20 Hard Drive Support 6 07-23-2014 07:01 AM
New HDD making grinding noise, won't show up in BIOS
Hi, I'm new here, looking for some advice. Today I bought a new HDD - Western Digital 3TB. I connected it to the 3rd SATA port on motherboard (1st is used for primary HDD and the second for DVD drive). I didn't have any more SATA power cables, so I used Molex to SATA adapter. I started the...
DaxxXyrax Hard Drive Support 2 08-27-2013 12:38 PM
My recovered HDD C:\ showing "empty folder"
Recently, my HP G62 ccrashed, d system couldn't detect hdd, a techie diagnoised HHD failure. I used a recovery software to recover my files after inserting d HHD into a healthy pc usb. Unfortunately the Very C:\ that contains my importants files shows "empty folder" whenever I try to open. I tried...
lawwillie Hard Drive Support 2 01-30-2012 12:49 AM
[SOLVED] External HDD not showing up
It was working fine yesterday, today my Western Digital 2TB is gone from both my computer and disk management. The same with the Seagate external. What I tried so far: 1.unplugging them and plugging them back in 2.turning off computer, unplug power and usb, turn computer on, plug power in...
rakasan Removable Media Drives 9 11-28-2011 03:28 PM