Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDD not recognized? "no boot device available"

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  yogurt138 
#1 · (Edited)
I spent a few hours looking into a problem and believe the hard drive is acting wonky.

My system (if it helps):

Dell Inspiron 560mt
- cpu: intel dual core e5700
- psu: antec ea-500w
- gpu: radeon 6870
- ram: 4x1 gb ddr3
- hdd: samsung hd1003sj/d

The incident:

I upgraded to the 6870 video card and installed the PSU to feed it. After a week of playing games, the computer froze on shogun 2 (came free w/ card OMG!). I turned off power and tried to restart. After dell menu (set up/boot options), I got a black screen that read "no boot device available."

Relevant info:

BIOS diagnostic says everything is fine with computer, it just wont recognize the HDD.

HDD still spins when computer is powered on.

When I installed the video card, it was such a monster :)rolleyes:) that I had to change where the SATA data cable of HDD plugs into motherboard, from slot 0 to slot 3. Everything worked fine inspite of that.

Boot priority is HDD (maybe for SATA slot zero though... but comp has booted fine while HDD is plugged into slot 3)

I tried to conntect the HDD in question to my laptop running xp, via sata to usb, and it doesn't show up in disk mgt.

I searched all over google (gimf) and came up with the samsung drive diagnstic tool ( SAMSUNG Hard Disk Drive ) I don't have floppy though and don't know beans about DOS. Can I boot with this samsung app using USB?

I read something about "fixntldr", but I didn't get it. I am a noob at geekery though, so maybe it would help; yes?

This sticky ( http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...rtition-or-files-in-your-computer-194492.html ) mentions test disk now. Would that help in anyway?

I'm totally in the red financially, so i help this can be a simple fix. Thanks for reading all this and for any feedback. I hope someone can provide a solution, and somebody else can find this thread on google if needed.

See less See more
#5 ·
I used the sata --> usb cable and the dvd drive in my desktop to burn the disk (duh, took me a while to do the math on that one). imageburn said the files were not a recognized format, something about them being too small. One was "ESTOOL" an .exe 797KB, the other image from the .zip was "run" an MS-DOS Batch file 10bytes.

when i booted from the dvd drive with the burned disk, the screen reads:

Samsung Boot Manager

SHCDX33E, 9-ul29. Based on V3.03 SHSUCDX by (various people)

Cannot open CD driver MYDVD. SHCDX33E cannot load!
Disk C has label TURBODSK
your ram drive is loaded at C: File not found. - 'L:\*.*'
Out of memory error.
Bad command or filename "run.bat".

:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
SAMSUNG HDD UTILITY
C:\>

Winrar listed the "run" i added to the burned disk as "run.bat", I'll burn again sans "run.bat" and report.

#8 ·
when i booted from the dvd drive with the burned disk, the screen reads:

Samsung Boot Manager

SHCDX33E, 9-ul29. Based on V3.03 SHSUCDX by (various people)

Cannot open CD driver MYDVD. SHCDX33E cannot load!
Disk C has label TURBODSK
your ram drive is loaded at C: File not found. - 'L:\*.*'
Out of memory error.
Bad command or filename "run.bat".

SAMSUNG HDD UTILITY
C:\>
fyi get the same thing when I boot from the Samsung iso. ultimate boot disk contains the utility as well and I can get it work through that.

#6 ·
Harrumph. Imgburn wont let me write only the ESTOOL.exe.

I download the cd rom zip and unzipped it, it has another zipped file called "ESTOOL301v.iso" which contains the .exe and .bat So far, I burned the .exe and .bat to disk and tried to boot, the result is the message above. Then I burned the .iso, same thing.

Windows doesn't display the .exe or .bat part of the names, I don't know if that means anything.

Can anybody tell me what the Samsung boot manager message means in layman's terms? What's the next step to getting this HDD sorted out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.