Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD not Recognised

This is a discussion on HDD not Recognised within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I am facing a weired problem, the details of which is as follows. I use Win XP Pro with

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to src2206
Hello

I am facing a weired problem, the details of which is as follows.

I use Win XP Pro with SP2 and updated with latest hotfixes. I have 2 HDDs, one 160 GB SATA II and the other 80GB Sygate Barracuda 7200 rpm IDE. The first one is set as Master and the other as Slave. I have found out that though during the boot the BIOS correctly recognizes the 80GB HDD, but after XP loads, it does not recognize the 80GB HDD or its partitions when I double click the my computer Icon.

As I select Disk Management after right clicking the My Computer icon, I can find that the second HDD is listed with the 4 partitions and the initial 8GB free space; but the details of the partitions are not shown, it only shows the sizes of the individual partitions and mark those as healthy. The details of the partitions are not unavailable. As I select any of the partitions and select Properties, these partitions appear in the My Computer window.

There is one more observation: I found that when this problem occurs, the time to load XP is about 3-5 mins.

My computer is malware free.

The 80Gb disk has 5 partitions, the first is a unformatted 8GB free space where I intend to install Linux in future. There are 4 other out of which the second one is FAT32 but rest are NTFS.

I am really troubled by tis problem, so could someone provide me with a solution?

Please help.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

There should be no master setting for the Sata drive. Therefore, if it is compatible with 2.0, it should work fine.

The Pata (ide) drive should be on an 80 connector ribbon cable and set to Master and be placed on the END of the ribbon cable. If you have another drive on that cable, then set the other drive to Slave and place it on the middle of the ribbon cable.

Post back with questions/concerns.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thank you tumbleweed for the clue

The PATA and DVD drive's jumper settings were wrong and I corrected it. I can not place the PATA as the primary 'cause the cabinet space positioning won't allow that. So I made the DVD drive as the Master and the HDD a slave, and the changed the jumpers accordingly.

It seems that the problem is solved now.

Thank you again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

So glad you got it going and happy we could help. That setup should work for you also. Hope you have a great day.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Same to you tumbleweed36
Closed Thread