Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD not detecting in OS after PCB replacement

This is a discussion on HDD not detecting in OS after PCB replacement within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, Well I have Seagate 250GB HDD which was dead due to logical board(PCB) Failure. Specs of the PCB PCB

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

Well I have Seagate 250GB HDD which was dead due to logical board(PCB) Failure.

Specs of the PCB

PCB Number: 100468303 REV A
Smooth Chip number: 100369972
BIG CHIP number: TTB5041A0

I found the same PCB and ordered it. I was advised by the seller that the ROM chip needs to be replaced for the device to be working correctly.

I first swapped the PCB without replacing, the drive started spinning but was not detected in BIOS.

Now i had the ROM chip replaced from paitent PCB to the donar PCB the drive gets recognized in BIOS but not in OS.

I tried Computer Management in OS - No go
Tried Parition Magic - Not detected here (not as RAW drive either)
Tried Windows 7/Windows Vista bootable disc so that it may get detected during installation - No Go

I tried Seagate Seatools for DOS - The drive gets detected there.

There is important data on the drive which I need to be recovered. Now how do i go about making the drive detectable in the OS ? Any advanced data recovery tool that can detect the HDD for a bootable media ?

My idea: Use one of those Ultimate Bootable discs or Hard drive utilities to disc and if it is detected format the HDD using NTFS (quick format). Once the HDD is detected in the system, try the recovery process .. What do you have to say about that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Don't format, if the drive is recognized even as a drive, recovery software will be able to scan it, it does not need to be recognized in my computer or have a file system.
If seatools ids the drive then r-studio or getdataback should also find it and be able to scan the disk. Did you try running any of the diagnostics from Seatools?
If those two can't scan it then - some background question.
1) - How did you determine the PCB was the fault, what was the initial error and what testing did you do.
2) What parameters of the patient drive did you match with the donor to determine PCB compatibility?
3) Did you verify no solder bridges on the ROM and the alignment is correct, pin 1 in the right location?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
Don't format, if the drive is recognized even as a drive, recovery software will be able to scan it, it does not need to be recognized in my computer or have a file system.
If seatools ids the drive then r-studio or getdataback should also find it and be able to scan the disk. Did you try running any of the diagnostics from Seatools?
If those two can't scan it then - some background question.
1) - How did you determine the PCB was the fault, what was the initial error and what testing did you do.
2) What parameters of the patient drive did you match with the donor to determine PCB compatibility?
3) Did you verify no solder bridges on the ROM and the alignment is correct, pin 1 in the right location?
I haven't tried getdataback and R-Studio. I will be trying that.

1. I had a bad SATA pin connector issue(it was passing high voltage) and when i opened the logical board there were few things that was burnt. I had them replaced once and I connect it to the same computer(this was before i knew the problem was with SATA pin connector).

The second time I connected the HDD it burnt the PCB and smoke came outta it. My local technician asked me to get a PCB.

2) The PCB I found matched the physical PCB specification. It matched all the below details

PCB Number: 100468303 REV A
Smooth Chip number: 100369972
BIG CHIP number: TTB5041A0

I had the BIOS chip replaced from the patient to the donor so that should take care of firmware, hdd bootcode and other things

3) BIOS chip replacement for the HDD is done correctly as I got it done by a local technician who has been doing this for 15 years.. So no alignment or solder bridge issue.

I tried coupla recovery programs like

1. Ontrack easy recover (bootable) - didn't detect.
2. I tried MHDD to see if i get more information about the HDD. It didn't detect my drive

I haven't done the surface test, I will be doing that and will report the same.

I got an update from the local technician who says there is no physical issues with the HDD at all and he says that the HDD media is corrupted and it needs to be rebuilt. He doesn't have any idea about data recovery and other things. He asked me to go to local recovery center(which i don't want to do)

So is there any diagnostics that I can run and report here with LOG so that experts can take a look at ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I don't know the qualification of the local technician, but most computer shop techs are not qualified to make that call. It sounds more like head issues, possibly the preamp. Did you match just the PCB or did you match the firmware , model, and country of origin of the drive also. You can do a terminal connection to get a log. If your local tech hasn't done that or doesn't know how to do that then he isn't qualified to make the diagnosis. Hard drive recovery is a specialty. Google seagate serial connection for several articles on how to build and connect to the seagate drives. You may also want to get a second opinion from a data recovery shop as opposed to a computer shop
Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

Well I have an update ...

I don't know what the heck is wrong with my hard drive .. It detects in EASY RECOVERY software(Ontrack, it didn't detect yesterday). It detects in most of the recovery software but only when i use a bootable CD. I have just tried Easy recovery as of now.

I shows all my files and nothing damaged, everything is perfect and can be recovered without any problem ! I cannot recover it yet bcos since I am using bootable media it doesn't detect another HDD or physical media ... Anyways will figure it out how to recover.

Now we know there is no physical issues with the HDD and we also know that the data is intact.

Another weird thing, I mentioned that the HDD doesn't gets detected in the OS. I tried one more thing. I booted the OS and then i connected the HDD and then scanned for changes in device manager .. It detects in device manager and when I open MY COMPUTER .. itz Loading(The Windows 7 file bar loading thing) I can see a new drive letter but ofcoss 'My computer' is not responding and after 'My computer' finishes loading the drive vanishes and when I try scan for hardware changes it doesn't detect again but If i reboot the computer and then connect HDD and scan for changes gets detected again but only for a while !

Now back to my original question, this should be simple for the pros

Why is the HDD not getting detected in OS and showing the contents of the drive ? and what can I do to rectify.

Below info is what we know so far

1. Data is safe and can be recovered and has no issues
2. Drives gets detected if you use Bootable media like HIREN and Easy Recovery bootable and things like that
3. I don't think there is any physical issue with the drive
4. Partition Table is also fine and not corrupt

Also the recovery i ran was not advanced recovery .. It showed all my contents under 4 mins. I have used Easy recovery lotta times and I know this can be recovered (just gotta to figure out how to get another physical drive detected when i boot with the CD)

PS: Please excuse typos and grammatical errors. In a hurry, gotta go get the data recovered
Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

I figured out how to recover the data from Easy Recovery. It needs a FAT32 filesystem HDD. I had an old IDE drive which I converted to FAT32 and plugged in. Now that is detects in Easy recovery.

EasyRecovery detects my faulty hard-drive and when i choose that HDD for scanning it gets stuck at 0% for long time. It used to finish the entire thing under 4 mins.

Before it used to scan and I had a chance to recover but didn't have another physical media to recover. Now I have another physical media for recovery but EasyRecovery doesn't scan anymore for the files.

I also tried other recovery programs(bootable diskette) same case there too. Scanning seems to take a long time and doesn't progress at all.

I have HIREN BOOT CD. Are there any tools that I can run to see what could be the problem with the hard-drive ? Boy, haven't slept in 3 days and I am losing the mind.
Closed Thread