Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDD is clicking. No hope?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  loda117 
#1 ·
I do realize that if the hdd is clicking, there is nothing I can do. The only place that I've heard of that can take care of this sort of thing is drive savers, but I heard they're extremely (like $1500). Does anyone know of a cheaper place?

Also, I have a problem with a flash drive. It's not reading, although the comp can recognize something is there. I tried unbuntu to see if that can read it, and no luck either. I need to get the files off of there. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
As for the flsah drive files
you can use dd_rescue to create an image of the drive and then try to recover the files

As for the HDD clicking there is one cheap way to go by and that is buy a new hard drive
they are very cheap and if this drive is not bad yet I would backup all my stuff from it already

#4 ·
Well, regardless of what the cause of the clicking is, the drive's not reading. If I can fix or get to the files on my own, please give me a few suggestions. Need to rescue some important D&D stuff off of there! Lol.

Loda, how will the program make an image if the computer can't even read it?

#5 ·
Make and model, is it identified in BIOS and how? Depending on the make and model it may be something you can DIY pretty inexpensively. DD works at the sector level to create a raw image file of the sectors of the flash drive which you can then run recovery software against to recover the files. Just because windows doesn't see it doesn't mean the drive cannot be read at a physical level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.