Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD data recovery

This is a discussion on HDD data recovery within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anyone know of any good software suitable for data recovery? I had thought I had removed all data.... I

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Does anyone know of any good software suitable for data recovery?
I had thought I had removed all data....

I am after software that will read the folder structures as it is on the hard drive, not pick-out individual files.

Western Digital Black 2TB HDD
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Recuva is usually my first try. It will attempt to restore the folder structures as well, but you have to understand that this is a hit and miss exercise, NO guarantees given. If you formatted that drive and stored fresh data on it, you may have permanently overwritten the old data that you wish to recover. Only one way to find out.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
If you formatted that drive and stored fresh data on it, you may have permanently overwritten the old data that you wish to recover.
I noticed shortly after i did it so the drive is blank with no data written on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rotary View Post
I noticed shortly after i did it so the drive is blank with no data written on it.
Good, you've got a high chance of recovering almost everything then. It's gonna take quite a while for Recuva to scan that disk due to its capacity. You may have a quicker solution using partition recovery software. My first option for that is TestDisk, but it has a not so friendly user interface.
Closed Thread