Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD Crash... I think?! (Help Please)

This is a discussion on HDD Crash... I think?! (Help Please) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I installed a 160Gb HDD in april. I installed the hard drive and got lazy. I decided not to partition

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #1

I installed a 160Gb HDD in april. I installed the hard drive and got lazy. I decided not to partition it into different drives, like I usually do. But this is the first time Ive had such a large drive. And besides, I usually only partition it like so:
-----Previous Configuration-------
-C:\ for windows files
-D:\ for everything else
----------New Drive--------------
-G:\ my new 160GB Drive

I am an anime fan who likes to download anime quite a bit. I have about 85Gb of stuff on there I'd rather not lose. When I go to my "Disk Management Console" in XP it says the drive is Healthy, Active, and Online. But when I dbl-click the drive in My Computer is comes up with the error:
"The disk in drive D is not formatted.
Would you like to format it now?"

note: I've reinstalled Windoze on drive C: since then, and my G: drive is now D:

This is the error I got when my firsd HDD crashed. Almost like the file system is corrupt or something, but my Disk Management says its fine.

I have the demo of File Scavenger 3.0 and it can see the data on the drive just fine. But unless I buy the full version, I cant recover anything. And then I've only got DVD's and the free space on my other drives to transfer the files to. So I'm in a jam.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this without losing the data.
Thank You,
Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

This program cost money also, but I have heard good things about it. https://www.ptdd.com/
Old 07-02-2005, 02:39 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
The link Terrister just gave you is a "proven" program / several people in here have recovered their data with it when the boot table or partitions or whatever gets boogered up / dont format the drive or you will lose everything

The decision is yours now as to whether or not the 85gigs of info is worth the cost to restore it / in the future I always advise multiple drives / you should be making a back-up copy of your vital info every week or so to a "slave" drive, which is only used for file back-up ~ IDE drives are now cheap / $60.00 or so on ebay for large 80 gig and bigger Western Digital drives / that sure beats the two days it takes to do a fresh install and load all progs, updates, settings etc.

regards

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2005, 05:56 AM   #4

Thanx for the help, I sure hope this works out. Now I've just gotta be more careful with how I store my data. I'll try my luck.

Thanks again
Old 07-02-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

map the drive from g to d

Old 07-02-2005, 06:01 PM   #6

could you explain in detail please. I'm not sure what u mean.

The drive that crashed is currently drive D: due to windows whacky ways.
It was G before I reinstalled windows though. If you could help me out that'd be great. I'm just not sure what u mean by map???

Thanx
Jamie
Old 07-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #7

Thanx for the help Terrister.

It was worth the money. Apparently my MBR was messed up and it fixed it in a sec. I was really suprised. Not only did it repair the drive, it did it without formatting or losing the data on the drive. really helpful, and saved me the time of trying to recover the data onto another drive.

Thanx for the help guys,

Jamie
Old 07-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

That was the idea, to save your data. Glad it worked.

Please, from now on, back up any thing you can not afford to lose. You don't always get this lucky when you have hard drive problems.

I and many others have learned this lesson the hard way.
Closed Thread