Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hdd Cooling?

This is a discussion on Hdd Cooling? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i found some things to add into my case. but i wasnt sure if my HDD would need cooling? https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Akasa-Hard-Drive-Cooler-Twin-Fan-Blue_W0QQitemZ290286382946QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComputing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR?hash=item290286382946&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:27 PM   #1

Question

i found some things to add into my case. but i wasnt sure if my HDD would need cooling?

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Akasa-Hard-Drive-Cooler-Twin-Fan-Blue_W0QQitemZ290286382946QQcmdZViewItemQQptZComputing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR?hash=item290286382946&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

i just wondered if this is really needed???

i play games, i design logos, i create videos, i edit photos as i am a photographer and i make plans for my business!

so my pc is on all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Have you checked your temperatures to see what things in the case look like? I think something like Speedfan should be downloaded and used to see if things are hot to start with before you do any modifications.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 AM   #3

CPU showing at 46c any good? Hard drive showing as "The average temperature for this hard disk is 32C (MIN=22C MAX=42C) and yours is 22C."

so it seems my pc is fine! no need to mod! but i will add a rear exhaust fan if this would help???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

The at-rest temp of the CPU is rather high, but nothing out of range, IF the CPU under-stress never gets over 60c. If you want to bring that temp down a bit, you might want to clean off the old thermal paste and put new on there and that should helpl

However, before I did that, I would check the starting temp in the bios, because those bios temps are the most accurate and those sensors don't always report the most accurate temp with an after market program. Might be worth a check before you get too far.

If you need to change the thermal paste, here are instructions:

Applying Artic Silver Thermal Paste

BTW, any time you can add a rear exhaust fan, it helps with case cooling so that would be a go if not too much trouble.

Have a great day!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #5

thanks for your reply. i just need to know how to do the wirings?? with this new fan for exhaust. where do i put the wire to? add it to psu connections? i got load of wires and i am going to cable tie them all up to make it tidier as i read somewhere that airflow is bad with wires all over the place. it is already tidied up but some cables more need to be tied up!!!

So i should get exhaust fitted then tied up to make it tidy right? when its all done. i will take a photo and add it to here or on the section showing everyone's tower photos!!! a good look there!
Old 01-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

All wires need to be in a place that doesn't impede airflow through the case. I like to put mine in an extra drive bay first and that keeps a lot of them out of the way. Just hook that fan up to the power supply and let it run. For me, I like to use the Antec Tri-Cool fans for case cooling. That way, you can set the speed to slow, medium, or fast and use what you need. If you can get by with a slower speed, then the noise factor is better than running a full speed fan.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #7

lucky me then? noise factor isn't a problem for me! hearing loss! LOL thanks for your help guys
Closed Thread