Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HDD Cloning Failure

This is a discussion on HDD Cloning Failure within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just recently ordered and received a new WD Black 3 TB HDD (1) and I wish to clone my

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just recently ordered and received a new WD Black 3 TB HDD (1) and I wish to clone my old HDD (2) over to my new HDD. About a day or so after receiving my new HDD I cloned the drive and everything went smoothly (everything booted up and worked just as normal). I quickly realized I forgot to expand the partition and, with my minimal computer knowledge, I thought that I needed to use the cloning program (Macrium Reflect) to expand the partition. I then re-cloned the HDD, overwriting the files, and then expanding the partition with the cloning software. I booted my computer with the new HDD and instead of booting Windows 7, it booted to a black terminal screen with one blinking bar. I re-cloned the HDD once more with yet the same failure. I was later realized that not all of the memory was transferred over to the new HDD (about 6 GB worth). After that I reformatted the two partitions (the reserved partition and the large partition) and cloned the HDD once more. After reformatting not all of the data was removed from both partitions. Once cloned again I noticed once more that the cloned HDD was missing about 6 GB worth of data again. I booted the new HDD up for the last time and a message popped up saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key." I did what I rebooted it and selected the HDD but not much changed. I am puzzled on what I should do next. Overwriting the data doesn't seem to work. I could have avoided all of this if I could have just expanded the partition from Windows. Thank you for everyone's support.

P.S. : The ideas of reformatting the HDD and a few other things were done with the support of one of my friends (in a good way, I was the one who messed everything up, he just suggested ways to help me, but he is busy, now).

(1) https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...nnorswebguidec

(2) Western Digital WD Blue WD10EALX 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Any HDD that is over 2.2TB's must be initialized GPT, and not MBR like your old 1TB HDD. If you clone a 1TB HDD to a 3TB HDD, it will initialize the 3TB HDD as an MBR drive, and you will not be able to expand it past 2TB. 1 TB will not be usable. You can create Two 1.5TB MBR partitions on your 3TB drive and clone your old HDD to one of these partitions and have a 1.5TB drive for storage.
If you Initialize the 3TB drive to GPT, you will have the 3TB storage back but you cannot use it for a Windows Boot drive unless you are running Windows 8 64 bit and have a UEFI bios.
My suggestion is to use a boot disc and Delete all of the partitions on the 3TB HDD, clone your old HDD over to the new one. You do not need to partition or format first, as the Clone job will do that for you. Then boot into Windows. Go to Disk Management and you can Extend the partition up to 2TB. You should have Unallocated Space to the right of the new partition and you can create a 1TB partition for storage.
Closed Thread