User Tag List

Hdd

This is a discussion on Hdd within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. does someone know how to completely format an hdd even if it asks me for a password before formating(dont know

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

does someone know how to completely format an hdd even if it asks me for a password before formating(dont know password)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

How are you trying to format the drive?
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Registered Member

what do you mean??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

What exactly are you doing when you try to format?
Old 09-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Registered Member

i go to my computer look for the hdd i right click it i press on format and then it asks me for a password i dont know the password
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Go to Start/Run and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In Disk Management window, you should see your drive. As long as it is not the drive you are booted into (ex) C: drive, you can right click the Volume/Partition and choose Format Volume. Unless the drive is encrypted and someone has set a password on it.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok

is there a way I can save the windows. Xp files so they won't get deleted
Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
does someone know how to completely format an hdd.....is there a way I can save the windows. Xp files so they won't get deleted
You are asking 2 opposite questions here.
1. Formatting=Erase. Formatting a drive will erase everything on it.
2. You cannot save just the Windows files. They have to be installed on a computer. You can Clone the whole C: drive, including all programs and saved files. But you can't separate the Windows files. Cloning is good if you are planning on replacing the HDD in the Same computer, maybe move to a larger drive.
If you are planning on taking the clone to a different computer, that won't work, because when Windows installs on a computer it looks to the hardware and loads drivers specifically for that motherboard. Moving the Windows install to a different computer will not allow it to boot.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

So then I would have to by an os for it
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Why don't you give us a detailed description of the problem and what you would like to do, and we may be able to help you further. Just giving us a one line question without any history, what type of computer (Laptop, desktop) What Make and Model, what specs (ex) Free HDD space, amount of RAM, video card if any etc. What version of Windows XP (ex) Pro, Home or MCE? etc doesn't help us help you.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

If I can't format the c: drive then how am I supposed to format it
Old 09-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

If you are going to install an operating system after the format, boot from the installation disc and format there
Old 09-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
If I can't format the c: drive then how am I supposed to format it
This would be a lot easier if you told us exactly what you are trying to do.
As Old Rich said, if you have a Windows or Restore disc, you boot off of that, when you get to the Partition information, you choose to Format the partition. then you Install the Windows OS. If you don't have a Windows disc, there is no point in formatting your C: drive because you would still need to install Windows after the format is complete to run your computer.
Closed Thread